Baiting

This male came in at 3 am. Cold front moving in must have stirred things up. 22-250ai with 70 Berger again

[img:left]http://[/img]

Very nice looking coyote tj! You are on a roll...whack em stack em. Good job. You could definitely feel both sides of that cold front!

Last edited:
Had some luck this morning over a cup of coffee. 8:52am this morning, just doing my thing and the 130 yd beeper goes off...oh yah!! My 6x45 AR with conventional glass of course. Nice change of pace to see these things in the daylight. I was wanting to test these 75 gr Speer hollow points as well. If you can see the shot, about midway back on the right side. This was a quartering away shot, intentionally. I put it right behind the rib cage running forward into the boiler room. He was dead on his feet, went about 20 yds. No exit. Not dissappointed with its performance at 2771 fps. Good way to start the day!!
P.S. Nice to see the hit where I point the frickin crosshairs. (ref shifting POI in the Photon)

031121 by jrhranch, on Flickr

031121(2) by jrhranch, on Flickr

Last edited:
tj and bp, glad to see ya'll are getting some visitors. I have not had a coyote on my bait in a year. I think I have some serious competition hunting around my place.

Way to go, Baitpile. Nothing like a good cup of coffee and a coyote on the ground. The 6x45 is a darn good little cartridge. Glad to hear the 75 Speer worked well. I have used 75 Sierra HP’s in mine quite a lot and with good performance, even took two deer with that load as well as three hogs. I have since switched to 70 gr. Blitz Kings (specifically for coyotes and just to try something different) and had very good performance with those as well.

Early this morning I took my last coyote of the season (my self-imposed season). This female tripped the alarm around 5:38 AM this morning.
She was not committed to the bait, but offered a standing broadside shot. I didn't linger in taking it, not knowing what her intentions were.

The 6.5 Grendel and 90 gr. Varmageddon once again proved to be a good combination, putting her down right there. She rolled a few times
and that was it. Seems this bullet is working better for me than the previous two I tried earlier in the season. The shot was at 70 yards.
Tiny entrance and tiny exit.

View from the porch of my hunting shack.

51037205511_164d2e0db1_c.jpg

51037310197_43231fe8c3_c.jpg

51037311162_d0042a3303_c.jpg

51037205476_a347c2dd0c_c.jpg

51036481273_34d8cbd1a1_c.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQFWIB88Ibw&t=1s

So its the end of my 20-21 predator hunting season. Even though our DNR has now allowed night time coyote hunting year round, I won't be participating.
I have to say this past season was not all that stellar but it was par for the course. Of course the highlight for me was shooting my first MD coyote in October 2020. I did not have any other coyotes show on camera until Feb. 24, 2021, of which I have included videos of:

2020-2021 Predator Season Stats:

100.25 hours on stand
Coyote -1
Red fox –10
Coon –4 shot 8 trapped
Possum –8 shot 5 trapped
Skunk –0

And that's it folks. A slow start to the season, then fox picked up about mid January. Coons made a weak showing at most all bait piles 'til mid February. Coyote showings were dismal but then there's always next season....
I'll try to check in here periodically, and for those continuing with bait piles,
best of luck. Everyone stay safe, please.

Last edited:
We had a good night tonight. First my partner got a double (a pair). He tried to get me on the second one, but I never saw her so he had to shoot or lose the chance. He did good! When I came home I picked up a female in the field. I don't have his video yet, but will probably get it tomorrow. I haven't loaded my video of the female in the field. Here's his pair.

#38-39 by Double Up, on Flickr

And my female.

#40 by Double Up, on Flickr

My Video:

Last edited:
GG congrats on a successful season - the videos from your trail cam were awesome. I need to set one of my trail cams to video one of these days

DU - another successful night and good looking yotes. You keep smacking them down for sure.

Gobbler, the trail camera videos are very good, as Burn mentioned. It’s funny to watch coyotes tug and pull at the staked-down bait. I have had bobcats do the same. You ended up pretty good for the season after all. Hopefully there will be more coyotes for you next season.

DoubleUp, you and your buddy are getting into them lately.

As for me, I ended up with 8 coyotes, one trapped bobcat, one trapped raccoon, 18 possums, 13 of which were trapped, and one trapped skunk.

This summer I have plans for a solar project to keep the battery charged to power DC lights, camera and monitor, and maybe even a DC TV for a little entertainment when staying at the cabin. I don’t have electricity there, so solar can provide my energy needs. Will give me something to fiddle with in the off season.

GG, that looked like a nice coyote that showed up in Feb. Maybe next year on him! In the meantime I suppose you'll be making it miserable for Gobblers this spring.

6, well we're about halfway to where we should be, but we have been doing better recently. My wife continues to improve. She is at physical therapy right now for her hip, but she is getting around good.

Back