First javelina in a while

DesertRam

Director
Staff member
Years ago I hunted javelina and killed a couple with a rifle. I found that hunting not particularly challenging and javelina not particularly tasty, so I haven't bothered putting in for a tag in over a decade. Recently, the kids have expressed interest in hunting them, and since NM is one of only a handful of states in which one can hunt javelina, I figured why not. I also figured since I'd be out with them, I just as well have a tag too, right?

That worked last year, but we didn't get to go out much. This year it backfired - the kids got skunked, but I got a tag. I decided that if I got the chance to go out, I would make things a little tougher on myself. No rifle. So I broke out the open-sighted Dan Wesson .357 and made sure it was still in fighting form.

Last week I finally got a chance to sneak out for a day. My son and a buddy joined me since they don't have classes on Wednesdays. We left town early and were at our hunting location before sunup. Our plan was simple - cruise the dirt roads and glass distant terrain for javelina. We stopped several times, but at first only saw a few desert mule deer. By mid-morning, we had looped around the small mountain range we expected to hunt. We glassed a few hillsides and then spotted a small group of javelina about a half-mile out.

We checked the wind, decided they were stalkable, grabbed our packs, and headed out. We last saw them headed through a small saddle between two low hills. We had to loop around the northernmost hill to get the wind right. After a good climb, we made it around the mountain to about where we thought the javelina would be. I unsnapped the holster and got the little revolver ready for action. As we eased around the hill, the boys, who were slightly behind me, spotted the javelina and got my attention. They were about 100 yards away, rooting around for tasty subterranean treats. Knowing that I was limited to about 40 yards for an ethical shot, I started easing my way through the sparse desert brush. At 56 yards, I was basically out of cover, so I had to wait for every javelina to be facing away before taking a couple steps closer. This worked for a while, until one finally spotted me sneaking in. It bristled up in warning, but didn't run. Knowing it was now or never, I slowly raised the revolver and lined up the sights on what I had identified as the largest of the group. At the shot, all heck broke loose! Javelina were running everywhere. I knew I had hit the javelina, but not how well, so I dashed forward and got another shot, this one dropping the nice sow where she stood.

The boys, who has watched all action unfold from higher up the hill, saw the javelina go down and headed my way. We admired the javelina, then notched the tag and took a few pictures. Though we are not required by law to remove the meat of javelina from the field, I refuse to waste the meat, so we field dressed her and got ready for the pack out. The boys decided to truss her up on an agave stalk and carry her out like we were headed to a luau!

Troy17Feb2021Javelina-L.jpg

Troy17Feb2021JavelinaKnife-L.jpg

I don't have permission to post my son's buddy's likeness on the 'net, so all I have to share is this picture of them headed away from me, javelina all trussed up.

Troy17Feb2021JavelinaCarry-L.jpg

I have to say, sneaking into comfortable open-sighted handgun range was WAY more fun than shooting a javelina with a rifle! Enough so that I think I'll put in again next year. Hopefully this time the kids will draw too and we can focus on them getting one.

Well done! And as always, well told recap of the experience. I owned a DW 6" .357 a very long time ago. That was one of my first magnum revolvers. At the time I was casting a lot of bullets, there is no telling how many 158 gr. hardcast SWC went out that bore pushed by a charge of #2400 powder. It was an excellent shooter, very accurate.

Originally Posted By: crapshootGood job and nice recap. Next time try calling them in.

I have done that. Though you can't see it, I have a javelina call around my neck. In my somewhat limited experience, calling works much better when they have already been disturbed and the herd is scattered or separated. Undisturbed javelina are just as likely to cut and run at the sound of a distress call as they are to come charging in. Since I made it within range, and had an undisturbed target, there was really no need to call them in closer. Though that is fun!

Dan Wesson's are interesting and accurate handguns. I owned one in 22LR with four barrels, it came as a set. One of those that someone offered me more than I could refuse for it..

Originally Posted By: crapshootI have seen them cut and run and come in as you described. It is a gamble but fun when it works.

Oh yeah! I would have tried, but I had just one day to hunt and wanted to make the most of it.

Originally Posted By: AWSDan Wesson's are interesting and accurate handguns. I owned one in 22LR with four barrels, it came as a set. One of those that someone offered me more than I could refuse for it..

I sure like this one. I wish I had the full set - 2", 4", 6", and 8", but I bought this one years ago with only the 4" and this full lug 8". I have shot a ton of cast SWCs (like GC mentioned) through the 4", but mostly jacketed hunting bullets in the 8".

Are you planning on eating the Javelina? I had some that was made into breakfast sausage years ago. As I remember it wasn't to bad. Great story and pictures!!!

Make great tamales, as well....once you get past the fleas.

Every javelina I've seen in S. Tx. is covered and you'd best not be the warmest body around one as it cools down and the inhabitants start searching for a new home!

I used to shoot one a year, at the special request of the gate guard just prior to Thanksgiving for their Thanksgiving tamales.
The drill was, shoot javelina, pick it up before it has a chance to cool down and hang from chair on back bumper, deliver to gate guard ASAP and let him remove it from the chair. Works flawlessly in avoidance of fleas.
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: pyscodogAre you planning on eating the Javelina? I had some that was made into breakfast sausage years ago. As I remember it wasn't to bad. Great story and pictures!!!

Thanks, and yep, we'll eat it. I see some chorizo in my future.
smile.gif

Didnt happen to save the skull did you??

I had a nice one from TEXAS way back. It(the skull) burned w/ the garage some yrs ago.

That sucks. I lost several pronghorn and deer Euros when some jackass burned down our deer camp, including my camper.

I saved it, I'm having it done up by a local guy. Not really sure why; how many skulls does a guy need?
smile.gif

Back