Baiting

Bp, no snow is right, but we've had more rain this winter than I can ever remember. Forecast is rain from tomorrow to next Thursday, every day.

6mm, I guess I could have labeled that coyote Last Dump Part 2

I did see another coyote last night a couple of times out in the field way back. I figure it is the mate to the one I killed Sunday night. Maybe he will work his nerve back up.

Checked a camera at the hub blind bait, coyote pics from 8 AM!! Going to be -15 tonight, I picked up a filter/hose so I can run the 20# propane tank instead of the 1# on the buddy heater. I think there will be an early evening visitor, as the photos revealed some disagreement between coyote. I think this farm is right on the boundary of 2 groups, with a 3rd family group just across the road. Switched scope to my TC Dimension 204, I worked up some loads with a suppressor. Hoping if single comes in I can shoot and leave it and another will show.

Outstanding Spot, you are all over it. Hopefully things go well, definitely keep us posted. I'm dinking around moving some night vision my self so I can do some load testing on the .243. Threw my scope on an AR and am bottomed out on adjustment with the high rings. Always something poking at me.sigh...

Get ‘em Spot. Hopefully that heater will keep you comfortable. Sounds pretty cold to me.

BP, after reading your post, today I began from the beginning of this thread, scanning page after page until I got to about page 140 until I had to stop. It just reminded me of where I started and the progression over the years. I have come a long way since Cougar Jim’s thread began in 2010 and have met and learned a lot from some great members here, as well as some experimenting of my own. It’s been an evolution of knowledge as well as tactics and equipment.

I started in a popup blind then graduated up to the shack. Began hunting day time only, then went to Gen 1 night vision which worked well enough, then gave Gen 2 a try. Later I tried home-made night vision which was considerably better, then progressed to digital night vision, and now thermal. I have experimented with various IR lights, not to mention cabin setup and bunk. I have enjoyed every minute of it over the last 10 seasons. Hopefully I can continue this type of hunting as long as I am able, and I am always looking for something new and improved.

Been quite a transition for me as well 6. All started because the coyotes killed my wife's favorite pair of Canada geese and their goslings. The all out war began first with baiting and then calling. Now a decade later and many hundreds have paid the ultimate price. I've sure made some good acquaintances and fast friends over these past 10 years. I guess Cougar Jim is probably hunting coyotes in the sky by now, but I bet he'd be happy to know how his tread has been running continuously for over 10 years. Lots of knowledge and very helpful people in this thread.

It was -1 when I got in the blind at sunset,after setting up the 20# propane tank. Running on the larger tank with the filter is warmer and "cleaner". At 8pm the mange/rubbed one from the morning photo showed up. Clean almost blood free kill with the 40 gr BIB hp. I left it hoping a second would show up. I noticed the IR seemed slightly dim,so I quietly changed batteries. When I finished,I looked out with the Steiners and see a coyote as it walks away on the backside of the tree line. I stayed until 9:30 pm, temp had reached -10. Got up at 4am and went back to the blind(now -15). Nothing but crows when I pulled the plug and retrieved the coyote. Another male(6) from that blind, at some point I need to kill a female 0r three. Don't see a break in these temps for several days.

Good deal Spot, way to stay after em. Was waiting for a report...sounds like a good night...other than cold. Thanks for the report and put the smack on em.

Some viewing pleasure for the slow activity. This is one I shot last year off of my bait set up. Just picked him up a couple weeks ago. So, when there is no activity, I just look at the wall
smile.gif

19-20 by jrhranch, on Flickr

Well finally the cat-n-mouse game with Mr. Coyote ended last night. I was beginning to wonder if I would ever be able to meet up with him. Around 10:30 PM last night the alarm sounded. By the time I got the foam off the window and ready to shoot, he was facing me, looking in my direction. Don't know if he saw the foam move from the window or what, but I put a round in center chest. In usual fashion from the Grendel, he ran. I fired another shot as he topped the ridge, but missed. Found him this morning. He went just out of sight over the ridge and was lying practically in the truck lane where I drive over to the cabin. Made for easy loading.

I used the 6.5 Grendel upper with Speer 90 gr. TNT, and Pulsar Apex XQ38 thermal scope. No exit and no blood trail, but he was running dead. I want to like the Grendel cartridge (love the looks of it) but it just doesn't perform to my liking.

50954565511_a6411058bf_b.jpg

50954565521_968f622a90_b.jpg

50954670257_f97a147b9a_b.jpg

50954670277_e7e51b7b53_b.jpg

50954565496_e7e51b7b53_b.jpg

I rested well last night and was toasty warm even though the temp was at 14 degrees this morning. Suddenly I heard the heater spit and sputter and quit.
I was out of propane at 7:30 AM, so I just packed up my gear, found the coyote and hiked the 300 yards or so to the truck. I then drove over to the cabin
to retrieve two 20# empty propane cylinders and the coyote. Due to snow and bad weather, I have had to backpack to the cabin a lot lately, except for
this morning. I barely made it up the hill with the truck and the slick road-tread tires. Just purchased this one a few months back, used and it came with
road-tread, which were like sled runners in the snow. I need to put some better tires on it.

Here is a photo of the cabin and path I backpacked from a previous snow. Part of the enjoyment of this winter's hunt is the beautiful scenery. We have
had more than usual lately.

50954670297_c07274068e_b.jpg

50954630406_c32236cc95_k.jpg

50953930858_3bc6527c52_k.jpg

Congratulations 6! Finally a coyote on the ground for you. Luckily he didn't go far, but then it's easier tracking with snow on the ground. All that snow makes for a pretty background too. Stock up on propane 'cause more really cold weather is a'comin.

Well to fill in a little, my season ended in mid January no coyotes seen or heard from the blind. Left for Florida for the remainder of the winter. From a couple of friends I got the stories about the Area predator hunt a few weeks back. Its a three night and day hunt, one or two man teams. The winning team harvested eleven coyote's, four coyote's were taken at mud lake swamp that's the area of my blind where the wolf picture was taken. Beaver was the main bait used there, three more were taken on the river close to home. That should help the spring fawn crop out some. I saw a video yesterday of a wolf running down the road in a residential area south of my place. I also see Wisconsin is going to have a wolf season. Nothing for our area as of yet. lots hoping for one though.

Congrats to 06 and thanks for all the fine pics and video. Enjoy the warm dannyk. I saw snow flakes in Daytona (on TV) last weekend.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1234I wish i could start predator hunting soon

Why can't you?? What do you have going? Details. Maybe some here can help you get started.

^^^

What baitpile said Ethan. Curious minds here want to know....

Congrats 6 and the great pictures. The cat and mouse thing worked out your way this time. Interesting how the Grendel isnt knocking them in the dirt (immediately).

That snow country reminds me of where I spent the last week up in the UP of Michigan. This Gawja boy didnt quite acclimate very well to the -10 and -15 degree nights but it was beautiful country to visit. Went up to help out a friend in need plus talk to some nice folks that do get out in that cold and hunt coyotes and other critters

Back