Midway USA Gouging

reb8600

Staff member
Anybody else noticed that Midway is pricing items substantially higher than other vendors? They are becoming the new Cheaper Than Dirt. This weekend they had powder come in and were selling 8 pound jugs for $280. Powder Valley got the same powders and sold them for $220. I have see seen other items on Midway listed for $10-20 higher than other retailers. A company their size should be able to beat most people’s prices. They have become a last resort for me to buy anything. Before anyone says it is supply and demand, it is not. It is gouging.

Yeah I noticed a while back they have raised their prices to msrp or thereabouts. Late last week they got 6.5, 127 lrx in for 37 something, which is on the high side. A day later the price jumped to 42. And all their bullet prices have gone up.

In the past, I generally have not bought hazmat products from Midway because they have almost always been more expensive than Powder Valley, Brownells and Grafs. I also have generally not bought ammo from them for the same reason, but a little less than a month ago I picked up case of Federal bulk 22lr for what I considered was a reasonable price/round considering the state of things. So I guess my experience was quite the opposite: while others are clearly gouging on 22lr, they were not... at least at that point in time. Everything changes from day-to-day right now and I know Powder Valley posted on their FB page not that long ago that manufacturers are raising prices across the board.

Last edited:
It's a case by case basis for me. When things are "normal", I will shop what I want with 2 or 3 vendors, put it in the cart and check shipping, tax, hazmat, etc. Many times Midway will win, and they have stuff the others don't sometimes. About a month ago I got some powder there because, well they had it, but their hazmat was way cheaper and they had free shipping promo going on.

But usually PV wins for components but they've raised prices also. I can only assume they are passing along increased cost.

Also you have to remember these outfits' costs don't go away when they have nothing to sell. A little price increase in times like these, I think is justified. When people quit buying, prices will fall. That won't be any time soon. Buyers drive any market, not sellers.

Probably gonna open a can of worms for myself with this one. What’s really rubbing me the wrong way is our local gun stores gouging their local (loyal) customers. $1000 for .223 FMJ, give me a break. But people are tripping over each other to buy it. I guess, why not if someone is going to pay those prices. I know capitalism, supply and demand, panic buying, hoarding, manufacturers raising their prices, etc etc. Hopefully I wasn’t to late to the race when I bought ammo. As far as Midway and the other online companies someone else can spend their hard earned money on those prices. What’s gonna happen to the 2nd Amendment and the firearm industry if Executive Actions are used. The price gouging we’re seeing now will be nothing. I’m not really not a political person. Just getting fed up with this garbage. Comments Welcomed, go easy. LOL. I probably should of put my complaining in a different section, saw the Midway post and I couldn’t resist.

If these companies ( Midway ET.AL.) would put a limit on orders this thing would straighten a lot sooner. Then you get the (I'M GOING TO BE A NICE GUY AND POST XXXX HAS CCCC POWDER ON THE INTERNET SO EVERYBODY CAN SEE IT) So Joe Blow buys 32 lbs. of powder instead of the 8 lbs that he really needs. So then he can go out and gouge people he doesn't know. Just to add i havn't done any business with Shiny Nose Larry for over 5 years,and i won't.

Last edited:
Vista is raising prices another 15% 4/1/21. All outdoor outlet companies tend to raise prices around the first week of January to offset the price increase from manufacturers that happens in December. Material prices go up. Manufacturers tend to purchase materials for the year around this time and set cost accordingly to material cost. Capitalism at its finest. Buy it cheap and stack it deep or whine when you have to pay market price. You've only had since '08 to do it.

I really get worn out with these posts. I don't feel $280 is really that bad. It sucks but its kinda the new normal. It wont be long and other places will follow suit. As long as it is selling, it will continue to increase. Very basic Economics 101. An extra $50 for an 8 lb jug of powder that you need really isnt that bad. I feel like an idiot passing up an 8 lb jug of Varget locally for $256 a month ago thinking it was $25 more than normal and I traditionally only paid $180-$200. Now I would love to go back and get it too. Jugs of the same powder are selling elsewhere for 3 times that. Bullets are like $50 per box for some things. Its the new norm at the moment. The horse has been dead for a while...

I'm just glad that I am stocked up. I should have enough to last me at least until I am 80 or so. After that, we'll just have to see I guess.

Originally Posted By: RustydustI'm just glad that I am stocked up. I should have enough to last me at least until I am 80 or so. After that, we'll just have to see I guess.

Yeah I'm good for another 10 years probably unless I get after the pdogs too much. Or until they pull up in a box truck and start loading up all my stuff... I just wonder how much longer we will be "allowed" to live the lifestyle we've enjoyed.

8#'ers are selling for over $400 a piece on gunbroker.....at that price, the guys buying from midway shipped hazmat, and selling again and shipping illegally in the mail will still make a nice profit. Heck, they may even be buying it from midway, and having it shipped to somebody that just won their auction on gunbroker?? For people who didnt start hoarding when things were good after obama for everything you might possibly need to shoot for years, maybe another round of capitalistic economic lessons will sink in this time.

Originally Posted By: 204 AR
I just wonder how much longer we will be "allowed" to live the lifestyle we've enjoyed.

well, its all happening much faster than i ever dreamed it would.

i use to say it will happen, but not in my lifetime. i don't say that anymore. i just mostly cuss a lot and call stupid people bad names.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: 204 AR
I just wonder how much longer we will be "allowed" to live the lifestyle we've enjoyed.

well, its all happening much faster than i ever dreamed it would.

i use to say it will happen, but not in my lifetime. i don't say that anymore. i just mostly cuss a lot and call stupid people bad names.
smile.gif

I used to say the same thing, and still do. No telling how long my lifetime will be when they show up to take my stuff.

No telling how long my lifetime will be when they show up to take my stuff. [/quote]

Well sir, that's your call!
May be time for "shot heard round the world" the 2nd.

Originally Posted By: RustydustI'm just glad that I am stocked up. I should have enough to last me at least until I am 80 or so. After that, we'll just have to see I guess.

I am well stocked also. Me and the family will be shooting for a very long time.

Back