Spotlight Hunting What Color light? Red, Green or ??

Rhino20

Still a newbie to all of this. I have been looking to do some night hunting. At the moment, Thermal is a bit high $.
Starting basic, I do have a 1 million spotlight. (it's white) but I suspect I should cover it with a color. Should it be Red, Green, Yellow or ??
What is the best route to go to make or buy the lens or cover?

Shot Foxes at night for over ten years four time a week always used white light.
Well car headlights are mostly white are they not?

Red is the best color light for predator hunting all around. That being said, you can use a warm white light and get away with it you just have to know how to operate a light. It's best to find a light that's dimmable and keep it dimmed down until you see eyes, then once the animal commits slowly increase your intensity. Here's a little more information on learning how to use a scan light for predator hunting. Whatever hunting light you choose, if it's got a dimmable beam and can put out a decent amount of brightness, you will probably be pretty happy with it if you use it right. I've personally never been a fan of green lights, so I use red for everything. I know some guys use warm white for filming though because it's so hard for cameras to pick up red.

I have only used white spot lights for coon. Red for predators, keep it on the lowest setting until ready to shoot. Granted maybe they cant see the color red, but the intensity bothers them. You will notice this when they start blinking or keep turning their head.

Their eyes shine really good with green but they're easier to see with a red or white light. So for a scan light either green or red and a red or white for a gun mounted light.

I have not had anything but a negative reaction by coyote to both red and green light here in Mn. To make matters worse, can only use a light with a shotgun(DNR is considering changing that).

Last edited:
Back