Double in the corn

lockrotor

These were shot during our Deer gun season. It had snowed the night before and I enjoy walking corn fields for deer. It was alot easier when we planted corn in 38" rows, these 30" row not as nice. Wind was perfect and with the fresh snow it was very quiet. While walking and looking down the rolls I came across BooBoo sleeping in a row. This picture is from about 30yds away. In the olden days this would of been legal to shot. They say never poke a sleeping bear, so I just left it alone.

50762163513_0f5238d770_c.jpg

As I made my way north about 24 rows I came across a coyote laying down. I turned and got it in the scope and it takes off running down the row. It was about 45yd texas heart shot, hit it low and opened up it belly. Easy tracking.

50762162418_f1140e024e_c.jpg

I thought this is great, seen a bear and got a coyote. I was wondering if the bear woke or what. I started my way north again taking my time to look down the rows both ways. I see to the east a sleeping animal. Put it in the scope and hear is another coyote just laying there sleeping. So with coyote in scope I whistle and up his head comes. Gun goes off and coyote never left it bed.
50762897301_a1516d7980_c.jpg

I couldn't of been happier with how this morning had gone. When I started north after the last coyote there was another fresh looking bed, I never saw that coyote. So as I'm going through the corn field, I'm thinking this is going to be a good year for coyotes, since this year has SUCKED for work. But I have been out 6 times now and only been able to get 1 fox to come in. We will see how the full moon does this week, hopefully something will show up. I also determined a 270 is not fur friendly.

Thanks for looking and reading.

Now how cool was that to see a bear and two coyotes in the same cornfield!
Well done scoring the two coyotes!
thumbup1.gif

We see an occasional bear around here but they are definitely far and few between.

That seems like a fun hunt.
For sure, bears don't need a "den".
Totally content to hibernate just as your picture shows.

Every couple years a bear will tangle with a corn head here in Mn, usually doesn't end well for the bear. Coyote will hunt in front and to the sides as the combine works in the field. Raccoon and fox will curl up in standing corn.

Spotstalkshoot, we have never had a bear in the corn head, we had to bump one to get it to move. One year I had a bear in the hole it dug into the cornfield. Next spring went out to fill it in with the bobcat, it was 24" dia. by 48" deep. I've been seeing bears in the cornfield for about 15 years now. They do a lot of damage when they make their beds out of the corn stocks. A lot of damage to combine from hitting the den at night when combining. One farmer snap his axle off when he hit the bear den with a full load of corn in the hopper. I've bent snout under. It sure does make people stop and watch when a bear is going across the snow covered field that's being combines. Good luck hunting.

That is a great day for sure.......... Love to see bears in my area but no I am too far south for them... Very cool hunt

One year back in the 70s I ran an escaped domestic hog through an silage cutter before I could see it and get stopped .. Big mess but that is about as close as I ever came to seeing a bear in corn .

That sounds like a fun day in the corn, nice work.

I've tagged a couple coyotes with a .270 as well. I agree, not fur friendly in the least.
Sure kills 'em dead though!

I can also confirm that the .270 is not fur friendly. Before I carried a gun hunting, I was sitting in the blind with my dad and a coyote came in. From about 20 yards that coyote dropped and never moved again. I remember a very large entrance and exit in that songdog's neck.

Back