Ribeye in the sky Dec. 2020

Yellowhammer

Staff member
Made my second annual trip to the pan handle to hunt sand hills the day after the Christmas.

We say 10s of thousands of cranes, but this year they were not flying the direction that we needed them to. We are set up to pass shoot as they are leaving a big akali lake, and they need to fly west to come over our property. This trip, they wanted to go north, south and east. Not west.

We only managed 9 birds out of 6 hunts in two days.

I got lucky and killed these two in the evening of the first day. Excellent eating. Hopefully next time I get to go, they will be flying west.

50797964826_636bba5380_c_d.jpg

They haven't been through here in a while. They fly over but they keep on heading South.

What shells do you use for sandhill cranes? The time I hunted them they were soaking up turkey loads like they were nothin.

Congratulations on your shooting. Hopefully they will cooperate better next time. You know I am envious since I have not got to do any bird hunting this season. LOL

SW MI has a farming problem w/ the birds and a season has been proposed but then here are the bird lovers.

Upper Peninsula has a wolf problem. Population is about 400 more that the original agreement as to when the pop is no longer endangered but there are wolf lovers. Still no season.
Hard to find deer in much of the UP anymore.

Back