Continue The Onslaught: Part 1

Kirsch

The weather continues to be unseasonably warm in ND. If this weather continues, the night hunting season could be epic.

I shot a single on the first stand. On the second stand, I heard a group howl directly behind me, when I started to call. I thought this would be horrible because my truck was parked behind me. I have seen coyotes totally spooked by parked vehicles. On this night, it still worked. You could tell they didn't want to get too close, but I ended up with 3 coyotes laying within 150 yards of my truck. On the very next stand, I shot a double. This was 6 coyotes on 3 stands, so my night was starting out great.

The humidity was high on this hunt from 85-90%. I will post Part 2 of this night in a few days.

Originally Posted By: KjBeachyNice work! I shot a coyote the other night about 50 yards away from my truck. Didn't seem to scared by it Thanks for the kind words. I have seen coyotes pop up on top of a hill, look directly at my truck, and put the after-burners on. I have also seen coyotes cross a trail and almost run into my parked truck. At night, they do seem a little less nervous about vehicles, but I still try to get the truck out of sight whenever possible. This is the first time I had a string of coyotes almost surrounding my truck.

I took a video with my scanner to illustrate them around the truck, but I deleted the footage by accident before offloading it. Oops! This is why there aren't any cool Phenom pictures of this hunt or the Part 2 portion coming soon.

Well, that was quite entertaining Korey. You need a conveyor belt to just run them right on to the fur dealer.
smile.gif

Wow ! Nice video, great shooting.

I do have a question about the set.

On set two, They couldn’t have played the wind game that you had set up?
Looks like they were all going towards the left to get down wind .

I have spent lots of time planning sets as I know you guys do as well.
Then ole Willie flips the script.

Congrats on the amazing start to your season

Last edited:
They actually were playing the wind game. as they almost always do. I was set facing the same direction as the truck another 100+ yards straight ahead and to the left of the truck. I was anticipating the coyotes approaching from the direction the truck was facing as there was a hill in front of it, hiding it. I almost always call with an electronic into a crosswind, and sit back with a clear view of downwind side of the call. This allows coyotes to get downwind of the sound without having any chance of winding me. In this case, it was the opposite because they came from the opposite direction of what I was anticipating.

The coyotes were starting to loop around to get downwind of the call. I shot them when I did because of a combination of the way they were reacting to the truck as well as they were going to eventually wind me.

Sorry, I didn’t explain my thoughts very well.
I figured you wouldn’t set up with truck in your view.
That’s what I was getting at.

Thanks again for the videos .

Originally Posted By: Shooter222Sorry, I didn’t explain my thoughts very well.
I figured you wouldn’t set up with truck in your view.
That’s what I was getting at.

Thanks again for the videos . Absolutely, yes good point. You are right the coyotes didn't read the script right as I would never do that on purpose. Thanks for watching.

Great shooting especially on stand three. Lot of moving and redirection there. Good follow up. Maybe next time leave your truck windows open in case you have to shoot through them. Hahahaha. That’s was just great!

Originally Posted By: weekenderAnother fine episode. The poor fellow, "some guy" that has to go get all your coyotes, I feel for him. That poor guy who has to retrieve the coyotes is getting old. Luckily the snow hasn’t been too deep yet.

Wow, excellent job Kirsch, I'm starting to worry you are single handedly going to wipe out our coyote population! Do you skin all these coyotes as well? Keep up the good work.

Originally Posted By: P&YWow, excellent job Kirsch, I'm starting to worry you are single handedly going to wipe out our coyote population! Do you skin all these coyotes as well? Keep up the good work. I am doing my best to take them out single-handedly. I have stayed out of your area so far this year. I am leaving some for you.

I am glad there are people who take pride and enjoy skinning, fleshing, etc. I am not one of them. I don't know if there is a price high enough that could entice me to start skinning. My fur buyer is fair, and I have been doing my best to keep him busy this year.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpWell, that was quite entertaining Korey. You need a conveyor belt to just run them right on to the fur dealer.
smile.gif
My fur buyer and I have been very happy with my success until my last batch I took in. I had so many stacked in the back of my truck from one night of hunting that 5 coyotes spoiled on me. The temps were below freezing, so never thought anything of it. That was a first for me to loose coyotes due to spoiling.

Back