Ok short barrel truck gun for coyotes out to 400yards?

zr600

Ok what should I carry for a short compact truck gun? I ha e a savage action that needs a barrel it’s a 308 bolt face. Any ideas would be great. Thinking a shilen or criterion barrel.

if your saving furs a 22-250 if not 243 if you want easily to buy ammo or any of the wild cats if not

A 6mm Creedmoor or 243 Win would be my first choice followed closely by a 22-250. The new 6mm ARC may not be a bad choice either.

I just finished working up a load for a new Tikka T3x Superlite in 243 Win I bought last month. Since I have several 22 caliber varmint rifles including my favorite, the 220 Swift, for this new rifle I opted to load 80 gr Barnes TTSX bullets in it.

My personal opinion is that the 243 Win and this bullet would be a great truck gun. Plus, if you wanted to shoot a lighter bullet, you can shoot a 55 gr bullet at 4000 fps in the 243 Win.

One thing a lot of guys don't consider in a truck gun is noise. A lot of the short barreled guns that reside in trucks can be pretty barky. I like a fast flat shooting caliber that handles well for quick snap shots. I used to like 22-250 but after some ear splitting experiences trying to get shots off in a hurry I decided to switch up to 20 practical. With a 40gr vmax I have made clean kills out to 350 yards so far and it's beautiful on fur

I am very partial to the .22-250, 3-400 yd shots are common.
No complaints about any of the others, if expecting strong winds a 6mm might be a little better.

i'll say this from experience - a 22-250 in a short barrel configuration is a fire breathing dragon.

shot one about 10 years ago - i think it was a 20" (was a friends 700 cdl he was trying to sell me) all you could see in the scope every time you pulled the trigger was a giant orange flash. giant fireballs for days.

it went "nope" every time i pulled the trigger.

cant imagine one in a 16 or 18"... yikes!

Originally Posted By: Plant.Onei'll say this from experience - a 22-250 in a short barrel configuration is a fire breathing dragon.

shot one about 10 years ago - i think it was a 20" (was a friends 700 cdl he was trying to sell me) all you could see in the scope every time you pulled the trigger was a giant orange flash. giant fireballs for days.

it went "nope" every time i pulled the trigger.

cant imagine one in a 16 or 18"... yikes!

That's yet another reason why you suppress everything.

I’m considering a lever-action Henry Long Ranger in .223 as a truck gun. Has a detachable mag that permits safely loading ammo with pointed bullets; twist rate should work for some of the heavier pills too, if I remember correctly. Muzzle blast from the 20” barrel shouldn’t be too bad in that chambering.

Lot of choices, I recently picked up a CZ 527 223 16.5" threaded 9 twist barrel syn stock. It shoots very well so far but I have shot out to 200 yds. It is so small and lite it feels like a toy. It might be worth a look.

At 400yds? I know coyotes have been shot at that range with 223 but not the ideal cartridge for that. Originally Posted By: whyLot of choices, I recently picked up a CZ 527 223 16.5" threaded 9 twist barrel syn stock. It shoots very well so far but I have shot out to 200 yds. It is so small and lite it feels like a toy. It might be worth a look.

For out to 400, it would be hard to beat a 22-250 or 243. There are always wildcats that will do the same, but those two are standard cartridges.

Back