>>>>>Going Wolf Hunting in Idaho/Montana.... or BUST<<<<<

Sounds like a good and noble mission Dan. I go out annually to Montana but only stay a week or so and thats not near long enough. Need time to check with the locals, scout, hunt, scout, hunt, etc etc etc. plus put in the extra time needed for those elusive critters. Not sure if night hunting is allowed but would be a big plus I would think. Might check with some of the local guides also as everyone I run into out that way are happy to share any info related to wolf sightings. Wish I could go too! The wolf has certainly affected the big game like elk, etc. I've heard them howling at night very close by our camp several times, seen tracks, but never connected with one. Good luck and keep us posted on your adventure.

Over 4 years ago I suggested to Lone Butte maybe he should try calling in a wolf by using coyote sounds, coyote fight and coyote distress sounds. Just play the sounds back to back for 10 to 15 seconds at a time so it would sound like the biggest coyote disturbance the wolves had ever heard.

I have never tried calling in wolves but it sure seemed to me that a wolf or wolves would like to show up at a coyote fight.

Below is Lone Butte's post about his wolf hunt a little over 4 years ago.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...4091&page=1

That is Great information...WOW... what a good idea. It sure did help Lone Butte. Would you please give more details on exactly what sounds.. sequence... and time playing that you would do if you were there. thanks so much...Dan

Not sure how active he is on here anymore but I would PM redfrog and ask his opinion. I know he has some decent luck calling wolves in Canada.
I know from talking to him in the past that he likes coyote vocals and fawn distress with good quality handcalls as well as a good quality ghillie suit to hide movement.

You have the time and money to chase the grey ghost - good luck with that. I lived and spent time in NE Minnesota - North of Two Harbors. Saw a few wolves but never saw one when I had a firearm.

Same with Mountain Lions - catch glimpses of a few but never saw one calling or rambling around with a firearm.

In my opinion, if you haven't been chasing them around for a number of years, you're just depending on Lady Luck taking a shine to you in your endeavor.

I wish you the best of luck, as you're going to need it, but any day in the field freezing your arse off is better than living like a couch potato - keep a daily diary/log and let us know about the hunt from your perspective out there in the mist of it.

Someone say shoeshoes?

WDPzZWU.jpg

CIUg4q2.jpg

Last edited:
any day in the field freezing your arse off is better than living like a couch potato

LOL... great statement there Joey

WOW... what wonderful looking webs... looks like you could throw a wrap of some kind around them, and turn them into part time skis when needed.

Here's the story on those shoes.

Russ Merritt was one of the very best in his time, a true craftsman and gentlemen. I ordered a pair and waited my turn, as he was always backlogged. I was previously using Alaskan style and bearpaws, which are a whole lot of work in deep soft snow if you have miles to travel via snowshoe. Money was tight but back then I felt the need. My initial order was for 80"X12" to keep me afloat in fairly deep snow while packing a 30 to 70 pound pack - pulling a sled wasn't a good option then.

Russ called me one night and said his health was failing and he decided not to make any more snowshoes, but he was holding a pair for a fellow who couldn't come up with the money - they were like 76"X10.5" and offered them to me. I purchased them and believe them to be the last pair Russ sold. I'm very protective of them even though I haven't wore them in over 20 years, as I still have fond memories with those snowshoes and all the spills and mishaps along the way. Nothing like being a few compass degrees off and having to spending the night with your sleeping bag atop your snowshoes - GPS is a God Sent to idiots.
crazy.gif

Those shoes are tough going in brush and following trails that have 60* to 90* turns but nothing is perfect when you're in God's Country laboring under his terms.
smile.gif

Great story... Great memories... Great trophy... Great picture of you sleeping on top of those shoes... BURRRRRR

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: YotarunnerNot sure how active he is on here anymore but I would PM redfrog and ask his opinion. I know he has some decent luck calling wolves in Canada.
I know from talking to him in the past that he likes coyote vocals and fawn distress with good quality handcalls as well as a good quality ghillie suit to hide movement. [/size][size:17pt]

Really? Has anyone ever seen proof that the french canadian has ever killed a wolf? Or, are you just going by his 'word'???

Really??

Brought up a 3 year old thread to continue berating your old grudge? Let it go man, or just simply go. They’re trying to move this place forward, not live in its past.

Originally Posted By: Speedy BeeOriginally Posted By: YotarunnerNot sure how active he is on here anymore but I would PM redfrog and ask his opinion. I know he has some decent luck calling wolves in Canada.
I know from talking to him in the past that he likes coyote vocals and fawn distress with good quality handcalls as well as a good quality ghillie suit to hide movement. [/size][size:17pt]

Really? Has anyone ever seen proof that the french canadian has ever killed a wolf? Or, are you just going by his 'word'???

Yep I have. As well as seen a few folks he mentored up this way that killed wolves from his advice. Can't wait to see what else you dig up.
I think we should start a sub forum for you called "speedy won't let it go" and it can be a compilation of all your silly rants and constant berating of folks for no reason.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeDid Dan Dan the cabin staining man ever make it wolf hunting ?

i heard he drove his cow-mobil there and the wolves ate it. just what I heard. maybe it was a rumor.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeDid Dan Dan the cabin staining man ever make it wolf hunting ?

i heard he drove his cow-mobil there and the wolves ate it. just what I heard. maybe it was a rumor.

Dang it !

Back