Tikka or Savage???

Samsquanch

I am currently debating between two different rifles. The first being a Tikka tx1 .17hmr. I know Tikka has a good reputation and I like the looks of the short little rifle. The second is a Savage b17 (17hmr). I don't much care for the aesthetics of the action as I think the Tikka has a much "cleaner" looking action. The rotary mag on the Savage feels and looks a bit tougher than the plastic mag on the Tikka and lastly the stock on the Savage is a bit more ergonomic. They both sport heavy, short barrels. Unfortunately both are wearing cheapo, but tough synthetic stocks. Reviews on both show that accuracy shouldn't be a problem with either, the Tikka may keep a bit tighter group but I don't plan on shooting anything outside of 100. That being said, do any of you guys/gals have any real-life experience with either of these two rifles and if so what is your take on them?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: outwestWhy not look at the CZ's ?

thumbup1.gif

I don’t have an issue at all with CZ. I already own a 527 in the .17 Hornet offering. I just thought the Tikka was sure cute with a little 16” barrel! I went ahead and picked up the Tikka today. I’ll get it dialed in this weekend hopefully and let y’all know how it shoots.

I love my CZ 527 Varmint in 17 Rem but I did just pick up a Tikka T3x Superlite in 243 Win and they also are a very nice and accurate rifle.

Something about .17 calibers that just make me love them more all the time. Between my .17 HMR, my .17 Hornet and my .17 Rem (all with custom barrels) I hardly find the time to shoot anything bigger. Those .17's are just too much fun.

Have never owned a 17 or Savage but have 2 Tikkas a 22-250 and a 223 really happy with both,switched from Model 70 rifles a few years back.Seems to me you have to try really hard to buy a bad gun with so much quality out there to choose from.

Tikka, I'm on my 3rd one (c/f's) & plan on adding more in the future. I also own several Savages, they'll shoot but just not on the same quality level fit & finish wise.

Last edited:
Savage is clunky in every way compared to a Tikka. Savage extraction is weak, barrels are rough, trigger is so-so but they do shoot. Tikka is smooth (svelte) in feeding and extraction. Triggers are great.

Well fellers, I got the Tikka. So far extremely happy with it. Holds tight groups on paper and is definitely much smoother operating than the savage and looks much "cleaner" as well. Made a few stands yesterday coming up dry so we stopped by a dog town on the way home. It is a joy to shoot with virtually no recoil which is to be expected from the little rimfire. It's sure fun watching the impact through the scope though (that never gets old). If I can figure out how to post pics on here I'd love to share some in the future.

I think you made the best choice possible. I have a CZ 452 and while it is an excellent rifle, the Tikka T1 that my dad picked up has a smoother action and is more accurate. That said, I there are a the 452 needs to have the barrel free floated still and I have not taken the time to do so as life keeps getting in the way.

Congrats on your new Tikka.
smile.gif

Back