Zeroing A Hogster

Kirsch

I was recently helping a fellow PM Member and thought I would post this information as it may help others with a Hogster or a thermal in general.

Windage/Elevation (W/E) Values:
First, the amount of movement per Windage/Elevation value is dependent upon the model of Hogster. The Hogster 25 moves 1.34" per value, the Hogster 35 moves .94", and the Super Hogster moves .67". There is a definite possibility a person could end up with not being able to be exactly dead-center or exactly 1" high. With a thermal, the amount of movement is the value of a pixel. There are a variety of factors including resolution, base mag and more that determine the amount of movement per pixel.

Zoom:
If you go into the Zeroing menu with the scope not at base magnification, the Hogsters will allow you to make an adjustment but it will show the values in increments smaller than what the scope can save. I have reported this to Bering, but they have never changed it. What I mean is if each value is 2.94cm (.94") on a 35, when you go into the zero menu and your scope is at double base mag (4x), the value would show as 1.47cm, and if you went in at 6x, it is even smaller. This seems like a good thing. However, it won't save these smaller increments. When you attempt to save, it will go to the closest 2.94" value when you leave the Zero window. This gets very confusing because people will think they made a small adjustment and nothing will happen because the actual saved value is the same as it was before. This gives the impression of a scope that isn't moving, and it isn't moving because the W/E saved value didn't change. The scope should always be at base mag when going in to adjust W/E values. For many, it is just easier to leave it at base/native mag for the entire zero process, and one of the reasons Bering recommends this.

I like to write my X and Y or Windage and Elevation down after each adjustment to make sure it is saved and to make sure I don't mess it up by accident. If you hold the Up or Down or Left or Right, vs pressing the button each time, the values will jump or increment a lot further, so be careful.

Is the x/y increments/zoom relationship true in all digital scopes? Seems like it would be due to programming language control of the vertical and horizontal axis vs mechanical operation of traditional scopes.

Originally Posted By: weekenderThanks for the explanation. Although you didn't say, I assume this is at 100 yds? Yes, the amount of movement per adjustment value is assuming 100 yards.

Originally Posted By: ToroHave you ever tried any of the hogsters on a bolt gun? Just curious if the eye relief would be ok It depends on the bolt gun. Some are fine, and some need some type of extended rail or dovetail system to get it far enough back. Don't go with a riser typically as it can mess up the cheek weld. I would look for a picatinny rail that can replace or be put right on top vs a riser.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootIs the x/y increments/zoom relationship true in all digital scopes? Seems like it would be due to programming language control of the vertical and horizontal axis vs mechanical operation of traditional scopes. It relates to the size of a pixel. Pixels will vary based on resolution and other factors.

Back