NEVADA hunting forum ?

NDAR15MAN

Can some one recommend a NEVADA hunting forum that I might belong too ? I have not found really any when I google it. Looking for the post popular. Any kind of hunting. Thinking about retiring there in a year or so. Thanks. Marty

Last edited:
The political climate here as of late leaves something to be desired for those of us who remember what "free" was like. I've lived here all my life. Never thought I'd see this once great state turn blue.

Hm.... something for me to think about on going to a blue state. I turned 61. I cannot wait to retire. I have Had both knees replaced and one did not turn out well at all. Scare tissue got me on the first one. still hurts all the time. My plan is to live ND April to Nov 15 and Nov 15 to April 15 in Nevada or Utah. That’s if I can I can afford it. Like to do it next year or 2 years. If trump wins I might try to stretch it 3 years if I can take the knee pain. Anyway wanted to join a Nevada and Utah hunting forum and learn the ins and outs of hunting in these 2 states. Thanks for your help. Marty

Originally Posted By: crapshootThe political climate here as of late leaves something to be desired for those of us who remember what "free" was like. I've lived here all my life. Never thought I'd see this once great state turn blue.

I Loved it when I lived there I can't stand to visit now.. Sad what the DemoRats Have done!!

Geographically the state is predominately red. Unfortunately population in the 2 largest counties has been over run with liberals who have fled California and for some odd reason want to make nevada just like the place they left.

Originally Posted By: NDAR15MANHm.... something for me to think about on going to a blue state. I turned 61. I cannot wait to retire. I have Had both knees replaced and one did not turn out well at all. Scare tissue got me on the first one. still hurts all the time. My plan is to live ND April to Nov 15 and Nov 15 to April 15 in Nevada or Utah. That’s if I can I can afford it. Like to do it next year or 2 years. If trump wins I might try to stretch it 3 years if I can take the knee pain. Anyway wanted to join a Nevada and Utah hunting forum and learn the ins and outs of hunting in these 2 states. Thanks for your help. Marty

Good choice of states. I have been enjoying retirement to the max now for 8 years poking around in UT, NV, and AZ. I reside on the UT/AZ border and use a travel trailer to migrate to the best seasonal climates for hunting and fishing. I use an RV as my second home. It cheaper and I like being more mobile.

In the winter, I hang out where I can hunt in all 3 states at the same time. The 3-way intersection between NV, UT, and AZ has gorgeous weather in the winter, more public land in every direction than you can explore in a lifetime, excellent predator hunting, and bird hunting for quail and chukar into Feb. I mostly boondock on public lands and just use the RV parks to dump holding tanks and recharge. Love sitting on the couch in my RV seeing coyotes out the window with an AR-15 by the door or shooting jackrabbits while watching the Super Bowl at the same time. Ice fishing gets boring looking into a hole all day.

In the spring, I fish Lake Powell like a maniac. There are no bag limits on walleye and striped bass. Even with generous bag limits on smallmouth, UT DWR cannot prevent them from over populating. It is common for 1 angler to catch 20 pounds/hour of striped bass. Last spring I had several trips catching 60-100 smallmouth in a day. I avoid the lake during June-August.

In the summer, I maintain my toys and do projects around the house. When it gets too hot, I drive down the street and stop at 9000 feet elevation which takes about 2-3 hours. Places to cool off are the north rim of the Grand Canyon in AZ, Zion, Bryce, and Cedar Breaks in southern UT. I don't fish the cold water reservoirs because I don't like trout, they are too bony. Coyote hunting is open year around, but hunting in the summer months can be prohibited because fire restrictions can prevent discharging firearms on public lands.

In the fall, I just go where I can get drawn for a big game permit. Getting drawn for any big game tag is difficult in AZ, UT, and NV. I have started applying in other states. I'm willing to drive a 1000 miles just to shoot an antlerless deer because I can't get drawn for deer closer to home. I ended up getting a doe/fawn antelope tag in Wyoming which I filled 2 weeks ago. Also, got a fall turkey tag in AZ next month. Got some intel that fishing on Lake Powell is on fire again so I'm going fishing tomorrow to target stripers and smallmouth.

I haven't been back to NV since I hunted predators there near Mesquite last winter. No Predator Masters Convention in ELko this year so I'm having a hard time finding an excuse to go to NV right now. I will be back, NV is way too much fun, and I want to get my poker money back.

Wishing you the best planning your retirement. I highly recommend it. I have no regrets and just keep having a blast every day.

Fursniper and every one thanks for the info. I will pm you fursniper when I get out there. If I am in good enough health to hunt maybe can can go sometime. I have a D760 night vision I will let you shoot if legal out there and hand held thermal. , fox pro the whole 9 yards here. Thanks again. Marty

NDAR15MAN...I'll be looking for your PM. NV allows predator hunting with night vision and thermal. In UT, it depends on the county and all of AZ is a no go zone, but AZ does allow artificial light for coyotes only. So all 3 states allow night hunting with NV being the most generous. I have only gone night hunting once with a night vision scope for feral hogs in TX. That was a game changer and would like to try it with predators. I'm just set up for using artificial light and need to play more at night. The fishing on Lake Powell yesterday ended up being slow. We caught 10 smallmouth and 1 channel catfish, kept 3.

Originally Posted By: FursniperNDAR15MAN...I'll be looking for your PM. NV allows predator hunting with night vision and thermal. In UT, it depends on the county

Nevada also depends on the county. It is not open state wide.

Back