Helmet mounted thermal scanner options?

johncraddock445

At one point years ago I was running a hd19A on a Crye precision night cap. I loved this setup. I upgraded to my current xq30v helion which is far to large to helmet mount. I am now thinking about moving back to something I can helmet mount once again. I would still like something with decent image qaulity. I am running a Thermion XP50 as a scope and its already bad enough looking through the xq30v after coming out of the scope.
That being said, I would like to keep it under 3500 for a scanner so the an IR Patrol is out. What do you guys think?
Axion? Breach? Others?

If you are not happy with switching from the Thermion XP50 to the XQ30v, you most likely will not like the AXion or the Breach either. The Breach would make the best helmet mount but the image isn't fantastic. For close range work, it is OK.

I will be using the Bering Optics Phenom this year as a scanner. It is 640 and has a great image. It is fairly light, but it is a little long to work on a helmet. It has a standard tripod connection, so if a person can get it far enough forward, it could be an option. It isn't tiny like a Breach though. When I get my Phenom, I will be looking at potential options for helmet mounting it.

Here is what I found:

HD19a:
Size: 7"x3.3"x2.28"
FOV: 26.8°x20.8°
Weight: 11.3 oz (without batteries)
Mag: 1-2x

Phenom:
Size: 7.32" x 2.6" x 2.6"
FOV: 17° x 13°
Weight: 14.1 oz
Mag: 2-8x

The Phenom is a little longer and not as wide. When looking at weight, with 4 AA's, the weight is probably very close. The Phenom is going to have a 640x480 sensor, 1280x980 display. However, it will have less FOV and more magnification. To scan, it may be fine, but at 2x base mag, navigating could be challenging.

Just by looking at pictures, it does appear the tripod hole is further forward on the Phenom.

Below is a video of the Phenom. It still looks way better through the eyepiece.

Kirsch, Thank you for the fantastic info. The 1/4-20 mount being a little further forward does worry my a little. For my expreince that can create alot of pressure on your neck and require a boat load of counter weight. I was pretty excited when the axion came out while thinking about helmet mounted capabilities but from I havent heard the best reveiws on them. I'm affraid a Breach just might not be enough. We pick up heat sig's at 1000 yards and can roughly make an ID by movement with the xq30v. I would hate to feel handicaped with a breach.

The Axion will detect at decent distances. It comes down to FOV and magnification. You could look at the newer Axion XQ38. I have no doubt the image will be good, but the question is will the 3.5x base mag and 9.8° x 7.4° FOV be too small. Especially as a helmet rig, my guess is yes.

I don't like my scanner to have a smaller FOV than my weapon's sight, and your Thermion XP50 is 12.4° x 9.3°, so the Phenom is a better choice. As far as weight, we will see. I tested a Phenom but didn't have a helmet rig to try it on at the time.

I can see the appeal of a helmet. Hands free would be nice, but it can get in the way for shooting and for getting in and out of the truck (even if articulated) . I have convinced myself to try it this year, but I doubt I will give up the flexibility of using one on a selfie stick.

I would bring up the Hogster 25 as an option, but if you must helmet mount it, it is even more forward heavy than the Phenom

Back to the top...Any more info?? I still havent made the leap. I am considering an Iray MH25 although it's a bit more than I was hoping to spend. We have been putting a beating on the coyotes but the arm fatigue running my scanner gives me more motivation every hunt to drop the $$$

I'm in the process of mounting a hogster 35 to a helmet rig but haven't pulled the trigger on a helmet...any suggestions?

I want to go super cheap to see if it will be manageable but worry about getting a garbage helmet...already spent 90 on hardwre.... so far I have a rhino 2 and a j arm...currently customizing a adapter for the j arm to the hogster using a piece of aluminum and a pic rail... I'll let you know how it works out if I ever get a helmet!...wish I could borrow one!

I've done it, but there are lots of challenges.

First challenge is getting it mounted. I went with Wilcox bridge, and then use a Keymod rail and a PVS 15 adapter. You need something to get it far enough away from your face as the mount location pushes it too far back. At least this is the case with the g24 and wilcox bridge.

Second Challenge is weight: You will need a ton of counter-weight and it helps if you can stack it more to one side in the back as although the Hogster is super light for a scope/handheld, it is still heavy for a helmet. I used the largest battery pack I could fit in TNVC Mohawk, and then added magnets for weights as well.

Third Challenge is shooting: Once I got to this point, I could wear it and walk around and it wasn't too bad. The reason why I haven't talked about it on PM or been using it, is what to do once I spot a coyote coming on a stand. The G24 and Wilcox option allows me to stow away and up if I want. No matter what I do, when I would go down to shoot, and put my head down, the entire rig gets very uncomfortable as your balance starts to go forward. I don't want to take the helmet off during a coyote stand to shoot, but this could be an option.

I was actually waiting for Phenom to arrive, because that is lighter and thought I would try that before posting. After messing around with this for awhile, my thought goes back to a selfie stick is about $10-$15, is more versatile, and is most likely what I will use.

helmet1.jpg

helmet2.jpg

helmet3.jpg

Originally Posted By: johncraddock445Back to the top...Any more info?? I still havent made the leap. I am considering an Iray MH25 although it's a bit more than I was hoping to spend. We have been putting a beating on the coyotes but the arm fatigue running my scanner gives me more motivation every hunt to drop the $$$

Adding a thermal to your helmet with sufficient FOV is a complete force multiplier... Went from only a weapon sight, to weapon sight and scanner, to weapon sight, scanner and helmet mounted scanner and it easily, easily gives us 20-30 more coyotes a year...
AND you can absolutely navigate at night with thermal. Contrary to popular belief.

Originally Posted By: BorkborknomnomKirsch'
So in your opinion hogster on a helmet is not the best option..what helmet did you use and what is the lever extension on the mount? The hogster is a good scanner and it is a good scope. However, due to position of the picatinny mount and the weight, I did not like it helmet mounted. Maybe people with more NV and helmet experience can figure out a better way, but I did not like it very much.

Borkborknomnom, I sent you a PM with some additional information.

The pictures are all in the post above. There are no mounting holes that I would use on the Hogster. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TAKE THE BASE OFF THE HOGSTER. It is epoxied in place and has been aligned by Bering Optics for optimum zero.

I simply made an adapter so I could use the picatinny mount on a Wilcox bridge. The only thing missing on the pictures above is there was no image of other side of the adapter piece. This is simply a 7-slot picatinny rail with a PVS-15 adapter on the end.

keymod.jpg

I want to reiterate, I do not like or recommend this solution for anyone. It is very forward heavy. Even with a very heavy counter-weight on the back of the helmet. It would be well over 1K without the helmet for the wilcox bridge and lg4 24. If you already have that equipment and just want to try it. It would cost $29 for the shoe, and probably

Take at look at the N-Vision Nox. Expected to ship sometime in November.
IF it turns out to be what they say it is it will be very hard to beat.

Originally Posted By: 1trkyhntrTake at look at the N-Vision Nox. Expected to ship sometime in November.
IF it turns out to be what they say it is it will be very hard to beat. For the sum of $6.2 - 6.8K depending on the model. I could get a Super Hogster and the new Bering Optics Phenom 640x480 12µm for the price of the NOX.

Back