Knife sharpenere for my Mother.

SubpaR

My Mom has a kitchen full of dull knives. I'm looking for a knife sharpener for dummies type sharpener.
Personally, I have a Spyderco Sharpmaker that would be great if I had decent kitchen knives. That won't work for her or her husband.(he would eat chicken before steak).
I'm looking for suggestions that are Liberal/Dummy proof but might help hold an edge or only need monthly refreshing.
If there is such a thing I'd love to hear about it.
Thanks

https://smile.amazon.com/Edgemaker-Four-Sharpening-System-Handles/dp/B00ARM52P4/

simple, affordable, and they just plain work. got introduced to them years ago at the NW Michigan fare by a dude selling them there... used them in kitchens as a professional chef for about 7 years. still use them today, more than 20 years later.

if they cant put an edge back in their knives with these - they need new knives
smile.gif

Looked real close at the Harbor Freight 1x30", but already had the 4x36" so tried to make it work.
The only drawback of the 4x36 is its lower belt speed, otherwise I'm pleased with it for sharpening.
Got some very fine grit 2x36" inbound, going to try them on the 4x36", let you know how they do.

Reason I listed the sharpener above: owner of a local knife store used one on my EDC,
free, its never been sharper and he did it in only a few minutes.
Think he used 3 different belts - it wasn't in bad shape to begin with.

update: 2x36" belts on a 4x36" belt grinder are good for the tips and blade belly edge,
but not good for the edge area near ricasso/guard. Not worth the $$

So the 1600 grit 4x36" will be my last step, prior to the leather strop.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the responses! I was pretty much sold on the Work Sharp but only needed a push in that direction. Plant, I'll probabably order the stuff that you linked also. Again, thanks for your responses.

Originally Posted By: Plant.Onehttps://smile.amazon.com/Edgemaker-Four-Sharpening-System-Handles/dp/B00ARM52P4/

simple, affordable, and they just plain work. got introduced to them years ago at the NW Michigan fare by a dude selling them there... used them in kitchens as a professional chef for about 7 years. still use them today, more than 20 years later.

if they cant put an edge back in their knives with these - they need new knives
smile.gif

I didnt remember writing this response-cause I didnt. I did buy a similar set at a N MI outdoorfair but mine are from about 30 yrs. Mine has 3 devices but I know he has consolidated the sharpeners lately.
Still sharpen kitchen and fish knives on them. Also have a nice steel-about 12" long that does wonders on knives, if only my wife would use it. They can be kinda daunting, I know.

Thank you for all the replies/ideas. I went with the Work Sharp. It took me over 2 hours when I was at her house for Christmas to sharpen all knives and scissors. I'd "test driven" it at my house on my knives and now only need to run them across a steel to get things back into shape. Thank you for all the help.

I love my KO Work Sharp so much I bought a second one so now I have one in the house and out in my shop. I have the blade grinder attachment as well as the straight arm attachment that I don't think they make anymore.

I use my KO WS on everything from ceramic kitchen knives to lawnmower blades. With the extra fine belts they work great for polishing trigger parts too.

Back