Yard hogs

Yellowhammer

Staff member
It has been about 2 years since I have had any hog damage in my yard, but Wednesday when I came home, I noticed that my front yard had been rooted up. I had left early that morning and didn't notice it that morning. I went and got my hog trap and set it out and also put my motion detectors back out that I got at Harbor Freight the last time I was having a problem.

I set the detector where hopefully I would get a warning, and started a after dark patrols.

49981189608_bdd17c290a_c_d.jpg

You can see the two motion detectors mounted to pvc pipe.

That night right after dark I went and sure enough I heard one squeal and eased that way with my red wicked light and 12 ga. with #4 buckshot.

I never saw them, and since the breeze was towards them, I assume they smelled me and left. I got up several times the next two nights but no sign of them.

Last night I made a round right before bed and no sooner had a laid down the motion detector buzzer went off. I jumped back up, only to to find 2 little bucks nosing around. I got up at about 1am and made a round, but nothing.

At 2pm my motion detector buzzer went off again. This time it was hogs. I would see 3 right by the trap (an opposum had eaten all the bait the first night or two) and a big one about 30 yards to the right, but it got into the brush. I eased up get a shot, hoping to get the 3 in a hail of buckshot, but they took a step or two into cover and I couldn't see any. Then one of the 3 stepped back out and figured one was better than none. The #4 dropped him in his tracks from about 30 yards. I jacked another one in quick, but it was quiet and whatever hogs were there vanished.

About 3pm the buzzer went off again and I was back up, but this time it was just a doe, with no more sign of hogs. Another check at 4:30 all was clear.

This morning I went out to load up the hog and haul it off and took a couple of pictures.

49981969542_d1d0fe15e6_c_d.jpg

A picture looking back toward the house. The trap is about 10 yards to the left of the hog. I was standing by the oak tree on the left side of the picture when I blasted this small sow.

I will put a little more bait in the trap tonight, but it is supposed to rain so I will have to take up the motion detectors so they don't get water logged. I will just have to get up a few times in the night I guess.

Nice! Was wondering what size shot was best.. just starting to get a wild hog population hear in Ky. I have known they was around close to the house for 2 yrs now as i've seen the track & sign,Just never laid eyes on a actual porker yet. And I always thought the Coyote & bobcat was the most elusive!

good job yellowhammer, I use those driveway detectors on all mu bait sites as well, allows me to get a little sleep in the back seat of my truck, unless you get a family of raccoons in there, but a sling shot will run them off for a while...

Back