Dead Hawk!

Originally Posted By: 22 ChuckIf you ever see such a dead creature just keep on going. Dont take even a feather for your cap. One feather is just as bad as shooting the bird yourself.

Around here that also applies to turkeys.

Well, why let this thread die now?

I couldn't resist looking it up and learning something, so here is the List of protected migratory birds, and feathers, and pieces and parts... - long list that includes more birds than most could ever name, but turkey does not appear, nor things like ruffed grouse, pheasant, starlings.

This was from the US Fish & Wildlife Service website:

"Feathers are beautiful and remarkable objects. If you find feathers in nature, appreciate, study, and photograph them, but leave them where you found them. It is illegal to take them home.

The possession of feathers and other parts of native North American birds without a permit is prohibited by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act (MBTA). This protects wild birds by preventing their killing by collectors and the commercial trade in their feathers, and extends to all feathers, regardless of how they were obtained. There is no exemption for molted feathers or those taken from road- or window-killed birds. More information on the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, and the list of MBTA-protected species can be found at: http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/regulationspolicies/mbta/mbtintro.html.

Exceptions do exist for the feathers of legally-hunted waterfowl or other migratory gamebirds, and for the use of feathers by Native Americans. For more information, see the FAQ page (http://www.fws.gov/lab/featheratlas/faq.php).

Individuals or institutions wishing to use bird feathers, bones, or whole specimens for educational or research purposes must apply for permits from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and their state wildlife or natural resource agency. See: http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/mbpermits.html."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: erictOriginally Posted By: varminter .223I'm not sure why anybody would care if someone shot a hawk. Yes it's illegal but so is having a couple beers and driving home.

So as long as one disagrees with a law it's OK to break it?

That is kinda the new law in many citizens minds..
Stated another way--horrah for us-the hexx with you.

Who cares! Im worried about myself, my family and my own life etc
Posted by varmiter 223 on page 2 or 3---

I wonder how you will feel when the 3 beer drinker half kills your wife/child?? Oh its his right--come on.

Last edited:
You completely misinterpreted my post....what I was getting at was the person who reported the guy for shooting a hawk probably has been guilty of having a few beers and driving home. I don't drink and drive nor do I even drink and no I don't think drinking and driving is okay. I was referring to the fact that the accuser probably has been guilty of crimes himself but that individual didn't think about that and thanksit was okay because well it was him. In other words people are hypocrites.

Laws like drinking and driving have nothing to do with laws like shooting a hawk.
Who was harmed by shooting a hawk? Who could be harmed by shooting a hawk? I personally have never shot a hawk but I know people who do and the only reason I don't is not because I don't think they need shot, it's because it is illegal and I follow the game laws. So don't get on here and grace us with your banter about how I am and what I do because you don't know.
There are laws against shooting Hawks because some politicians haven't addressed the fact that there's too many of them not because it harms anyone.
Let's remember politicians approve of abortion too but it doesn't make that right.
Just for the record drunk drivers pizz me off!
As far as part about me worrying about me and my own what I'm telling you is that I have a habbit of minding my own business. Imo that's a habbit more people need.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 22 ChuckRead Elmers book HEXX I WAS THERE by Elmer Keith and how eagles were treated in the early 1900s...

which said treatment probably has something to do with the current protections on raptors and such

just sayin...

Wonder who kills more game a hunter who gets out when he can or a hawk that makes his living out there every day all year long.
Red Tails are beautiful birds. I watch them almost every day hunt the fields around my house.
They do eat lots of mice. I think thats because they have already ate the Quail and Rabbits.

I don't shoot them but I don't like there being so many now. If they find Quail they will hunt them till none are left.I liked to eat Quail now and then but I have not seen a bird in several years.

I don't guess anyone has a good hawk recipe they would share? No I guess not.

Last year I counted over 50 hawks flying over a plowed up field. He didn't do much damage to the population. That guy needs to come here and target practice.

My buddy had a covey of blue quail coming into his yard to get a drink every day for a while and the hawks finally wiped them all out. He enjoyed having them around and would sit at the window and watch them every day. If nobody will say it I will. Hawks suck.

Game and Fish need to open up a season on them even if it's just for a weekend. They do just as much harm as they do good. The pheasant and quail population doesn't need one more predator out there.

Last edited:
Back