Any hogs in Colorado?

Are we PM members to assume that you are the verifying unit here on PM?

You alone chose to critic my posts, who are you to demand any verification?
It’s a first or me on the 1,000’s of posts I have made.

Your last 1 & 1/3 pages of posts, you have a WHOPPING 3 posts that are not derailing my posts, some detective you are!

If you want to follow me around and critic each and every post then you can knock yourself out! I didn’t come here to make up stories or embellish anything I do!

Let it go already!

Originally Posted By: crapshootOriginally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisOriginally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisThey weren’t in Montrose!

So you are calling me and a 40+ DOW Lead Investigator Liars?

You are stuck on Montrose - it is the opposite corner of Colorado!!

Dumb and only getting dumber!!

This quote is from a Montrose newspaper:

“Sand Creek in Kiowa County, in southeastern Colorado, saw an invasion of feral hogs back in 2006. Hogs were showing up rooting in the bar ditches along the highway, and there were several hog vs. vehicle collisions.

These particular feral hogs brought a disease, Porcine Reproductive and Respiratory Syndrome (PRRS), to a commercial hog facility that was biologically controlled. The disease caused the killing of 6000 domestic hogs and almost completely destroyed the facility.

The feral hogs were eventually destroyed by the CPW and further measures have been implemented, in an attempt to keep feral hogs from Colorado. Colorado has formed a collation to keep feral hogs away with Kansas, Oklahoma and the United States Department of Agriculture.“

Here:

https://www.montrosepress.com/news/outdo...c8b6c32224.html

I’ve been giving you the benefit of a doubt by assuming you are simply ignorant.
I’m now reconsidering and assuming that you are simply being intentionally obtuse.

Are you really this dull, or are you just struggling to support a statement you made that all evidence shows to be incorrect?

Ask your wife! Is she still screaming OOOOOOH Mr. Poppadapolis:)

Let's make sure that Jewell doesn't get deleted.

Yep, that’s the very reason I do the quote and reply on almost every post.
He edited a post in another thread and dishonestly listed the reason as “spelling”.
But, what a surprise!

I didn’t join PM to be continually harassed, I thought it was a site to compare notes, get to know people, learn from others but thats not the case!

If you are so good at hunting, fishing, reloading or anything else on this site why do you NOT contribute some knowledge or anything else?

What could I present to you to make you believe the Hogs died in a blizzard is 2006.

What would make you happy and end this charade?

Would you like Bob Thompson’s phone number?

Just because it’s not on the internet doesn’t mean it’s not true.

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisWhat could I present to you to make you believe the Hogs died in a blizzard is 2006.

What would make you happy and end this charade?

Would you like Bob Thompson’s phone number?

Just because it’s not on the internet doesn’t mean it’s not true.

You ended the charade when you insulted my family.
Admin will see your insult and take whatever action they think is appropriate.

I am sure they will!

I would think that I have contributed to this site, bought products from sponsors and all YOU have done the past 50+ posts is harass me!

They have had your back the entire time, as you continued to bash my credibility, If you were a normal John Doe on here the moderators would have shut down the thread long ago, you are obviously very Privileged!

Everybody here see’s it and they won’t say anything because you are family!

So, I wonder if they will just SKIM over the parts were I am dishonest, a liar, Idiot and you continued to “insult” my intelligence!
Of course they won’t!

With people like you here? Who needs it!

I have already PM’d members on here that your main goal was to continually push and shove resulting in me be reprimanded and or banned even though all the information I have posted is true, YOU chose not to believe it!

I hope whatever happens makes you feel like a Real Big Man, cuz you are always going to be a Punk to me and most on this site!

True or not? A guy told me that you could kill every hog you saw and think you got them all but somewhere there is a sow laid up in the brush with a soon to be litter. He claimed you'll never get them all. If you had them...you still got them. They're everywhere here in Okla and getting worse.

I know that there are spots in KS that they have been eradicated. Used to be some just south west of where I live. Weren't a lot of them, and its fairly open country,but the locals killed everyone they could and no one has seen one or any sign for over a decade.

I think it depends on topography and cover. The Ozark's are full of hogs. The twisting steep ridges and deep draws that are heavily timbered, brushy creek bottoms and old clearcuts are perfect cover for hogs. And we have millions of acres of big blocks of remote public ground. The Missouri Conservation Department has partnered with several federal agencies to trap hogs and shoot from helicopters for years now. They killed about 10,000 hogs in 2019 and they aren't denting the overall population of hogs. The government estimates there are about 50-60,000 hogs statewide. But the maps they have that show where hogs are within the state aren't accurate at all. There are tons of hogs in places the government hunters aren't even aware of. That would indicate the actual population is much higher than the official estimate is. They aren't ever gonna get hogs out of the Ozarks.

Maybe out on some flat terrain with very little cover something can be done with them. I really don't understand the statement that a severe winter killed hogs. Again, maybe on some areas with little cover or food, I guess I could see that. But Europe has plenty of hogs and they get some serious winters.

Having lived in the north country most of my life, certain winter storms can devastate native population of whitetail deer. I would suspect that hogs that have moved north from warmer climates of the south could be very susceptible to winter kill. European native hogs have adapted to winters there. I do suspect that the further north you go in Europe the lower the population.

This is an excerpt for a study by the European Land Owners Assc.

Several factors have been discussed as influencing factors in population trends, i.e. increased cultivation of crops and artificial feeding (Schley et al., 2008), however climate change has been posited as among the single largest contributing factors to expanding populations (Vetter et al., 2015). In this section we will provide an overview of the latest research conducted on the effects of climate change on the species.
A 2015 paper published by a team of researchers from the University of Veterinary Medicine, Vienna, reveals that mild winters are becoming more frequent, and that there is a strong correlation to increasing boar numbers (Vetter et al., 2015). The scientists believe that the increasingly frequent mild winters in Europe and the subsequent increase in acorns and beechnut production by trees are aiding boar survival rates.
As we have seen elsewhere in this paper, wild boar are extremely adaptable mammals with an enormous reproductive capacity, thus providing the potential for population growth when environmental conditions become more favourable. Wild boar can have five or more young in a litter, and females can reach sexual maturity within their first year if there is enough food available.
Vetter et al.’s analysis shows that wild boar is highly susceptible to cold winter conditions, as each incidence of this was consistently followed by population declines. Cool autumns were also shown to have a negative impact on population growth (although as the models used averages this may simply reflect an early onset of winter). Climate conditions are known to be important factors influencing many ungulate populations affecting strongly juvenile sur
vival and reproduction (Putman et al., 1996; Saether, 1997). Cold winters lead to increased juvenile mortality, which is a major driver of wild boar population dynamics. Especially frost in spring can cause juvenile mortality (up to 90% during the first two years of life). Geisser & Reyer (2005) showed a clear correlation between higher winter and spring temperatures and a stronger population growth of wild boar by reducing the mortality of wild boar piglets. Figure 26 (Geisser & Reyer, 2005) shows 8 variables related to wild boar population dynamics between 1974 and 1998 in the canton Thurgau, Switzerland. Making use of a stepwise multiple regression analysis they showed that food and temperature conditions are key factors for the fluctuation in the wild boar density. The increased winter and spring temperatures strongly influences reproduction (winter temperatures) and juvenile survival (spring temperatures).
Milder winters lead to reduced winter mortality leads to increased survival of wild boar in all age classes (Rossi et al., 1997; Melis et al., 2006).
Temperature is essential in the survival of newborn piglets (usually born in April and June).
Several studies, conducted in several parts of Europe,
link changing climate conditions with the population growth of wild boar: Germany (Hahn & Eisfeld, 1998), France (Vassant, 1997), Italy (Boitani et al., 1995) and Poland (Jedrzejewska et al., 1997). Rapid population increases are typical for r-selected species that make maximal use of space and food to survive to produce a large offspring with limited survival. If the variables responsible for limiting the population growth (e.g. low temperatures in winter and in spring) the population starts to grow exponentially.
Climate change in Europe (Watson, 2001; EEA, 2004; Raisanen et al., 2004) is not only influencing population size of wild boar but also the mast availability and the production of agricultural crops. Those factors too have an impact on the exploding population size of wild boar in Europe.
According to Vetter et al. (2015) wild boar populations across Europe have been growing irrespective of whether the number of hunters has increased, decreased or remained stable. Their research therefore claims that increasingly milder winters as a result of climate change must be considered as a major reason for the European-wide increase of wild boar during the last decades

Here is a link to the whole study if anyone is interested.

https://www.europeanlandowners.org/images/Wild_Boar_Report_2018/122193_WILD_BOAR_GB.pdf

Last edited:
"The scientists believe that the increasingly frequent mild winters in Europe and the subsequent increase in acorns and beechnut production by trees are aiding boar survival rates."

With enough food, most wild animals can survive some pretty harsh weather.

Kansas recently passed a law outlawing the hunting of wild pigs in an attempt to prevent them from becoming a game animal.
Copied from page 1...

How does not hunting a critter keep them from becoming a game animal?? Might allow population to increase but???

That happened 15-20 years ago. It is also illegal to transport feral swine in KS. Most of the populations that first showed up in Kansas popped up in random areas, often in places far from any places that already had hogs. Obviously, people were hauling them in and dumping them out in order to start huntable populations. By outlawing that practice it helped to greatly reduce the influx and start-up populations of hogs in KS. Has proven to be pretty effective for the most part. Missouri first started seeing feral swine about the same time as KS and handled it differently and are presently in a whole different situation now. Granted, topography and tree/brush cover have made a difference in some places as well; its a lot easier to see hogs in western KS than it is about any where in Missouri and thusly it makes it easier to get rid of them.

Back