Remington Express Ammo 12 Ga 3 #4 Buckshot 41 Pellets

It's what is loaded in my shotgun. I bought a bunch a year ago. Haven't paid attention since. I better check it out.

I think I have a couple boxes left from the old days. I dabbled with Dead Coyote and loved it, but at $17,000 per round, or whatever ungodly amount it's up to now, I skip it. Now I'm a Hornady whore, shooting their BB coyote loads. Now the boy is glad I have the #4, since that's the minimum size buckshot for use on javelina - and he really wants to shoot a javelina at close range with this shotgun.

Local, sportsmans warehouse doesn't have any and neither does basspro. Way to many mom & pop stores to go traipsing all over Vegas trying to find some. Luckily i would buy some when i saw it so i have enough for a while. Since none of the big shops have had any for a while, I've started looking online and most everyone has none. I have placed a back order through sportsmans guide for a case that hopefully will be filled by the end of February. We shall see.

Yes Tim it is hard to find, Federal Premium Copper plated buffered. I think that there was one place that had this buck in the lists above.

Winchester Super that is buffered is also hard to find.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanYes Tim it is hard to find, Federal Premium Copper plated buffered. I think that there was one place that had this buck in the lists above.

Winchester Super that is buffered is also hard to find.

I got about 14 boxes of Fed #4 buck and 2@ 25 of the copper BB. Add in a couple rifles and I'm good for a little while.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ackleymanI am not sure that they are making the 25 round boxes of copper plated BB's anymore.

I was told they don't.
frown.gif

I haven't looked for any in years. I have a good supply as I used to use it to hunt, but circumstances have changed so now it sits in an ammo box.

So after having had my order on back order since before February, sportsmansguide took it upon themselves to cancel my order.
When i asked them why they canceled it, they stated they must of had a glitch in their email and didn't recieve my response to keep my order current.
They told me to resubmit my order and they would discount the price to reflect the original purchase price. I can't reorder because the item is out of stock. Again i complained and said what about my place in line when the ammo does become available? Nothing we can do about that they said. Here is a $20 coupon.
Well i told them where they could shove their coupon.

Unfortunately i dont kill enough Coyotes to warrant needing more soon, i thing i still have a few boxes of it. I also bought some Hornady Coyote BB loads to try too.

Dont see too many people really loading the #4s at all really.

Last edited:
TSS is the best way to go if your budget will allow.

Where you hunt, and how the terrain is where you hunt will dictate what kind of shot you should be using. I consider anything beyond 45 yards getting into long range, and TSS will out perform #4 buck hands down.

If you work with chokes(proper gun fit/ use of Red dot or Burris speed beade), you can extend the range of #4 Buckshot with the factory shell or load you use.

I know I don't need to shoot TSS shot at coyotes but it is a great feeling to know that I have some great shotgun shells in my gun.

My 1-1/2 oz loads of 15g/cc #2 shot and HW13 BB shot out perform lead loads by quite a bit. With the harder and denser than lead shot types they penetrate deeper and break coyote bones much more often than the less dense and softer lead pellets do.

Below are some comparisons between shot types and sizes that I got from KPY Shoptshell Ballistics.
3.70" of penetration into 20% gel is the minimum amount of penetration I would recommend for killing or breaking down coyotes. I based that 3.70" of gel penetration off of shooting probable well over 100 coyotes with copper coated lead BB shot back when I could shoot lead shot at coyotes.

The coyotes I shoot range from 20 lbs to 35 lbs so if you are shooting bigger coyotes you may need to be closer to them or use shot that will give you more penetration than 3.70" in 20 % gel.

Lead BB shot at 1300 fps gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 46.1 yards with 77 pellets in 1-1/2 oz.
HW13 BB shot at 1300 fps gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 62.4 yards with 70 pellets in 1-1/2 oz.
15g/cc FHW #2 shot at 1300 fps gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 70.5 yards with 90 pellets in 1-1/2 oz.
18g/cc TSS #3 shot at 1300 fps gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 96.8 yards with 100 pellets in 1-1/2 oz.
Lead #4 buck shot at 1200 fps gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 101.9 yards with 41 pellets in 1-7/8 oz.
18g/cc TSS #2 shot at 1300 fps gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 115.5 yards with 81 pellets in 1-1/2 oz.

The odds of putting more pellets into the vitals of a coyote are much better with a load of 70 pellets or more than with a load of only 41 pellets.

Yes the patterns from the 2s and 4s were insane , I killed a coyote two weeks ago at 72 yards with the number 2’s and it dropped in its tracks . Folded him rite up , front on shot

Back