Best load for Savage Axis II XP .223 50 grain ammo?

TyBaker

I am looking for an opinion of best tested and used powder/grains, bullet, and primer for reloading 50 grain ammo. I am hunting coyotes. Thank you for your time and have a great day!

Rifle Spec:
Barrel Length - 22inch
Caliber 223 Rem
Rate of Twist - 1 in 9

There are hundreds of best loads for 50 grain 223. At this social climate the materials needed may not be available in your area or not at all. Even bulk ammo is getting hard to find. I use alot of Nosler products and Benchmark or H322 powder. Good loads in the Nosler manual. Good luck in your search.

A decent reloading manual will answer your questions. Each rifle is pretty much an entity of it's own, some will shoot just about anything you stuff in it others will be picky and the search can be frustrating. Published loads are always a better bet than hearsay off the internet unless you can back it up with the same published data.

Years past 50gr NBT's and IMR 3031 were my got to loads for predator hunting. Now I find myself reaching for Benchmark and AA-2230/Exterminator and the 52gr Speer HP Varmint my goto bullet.

Good luck with your loading and hunting

I don't think there is an answer for "What load is best for my rifle". Time and time again we see this question and there just isn't a positive answer. It may work great in my rifle but that doesn't mean it will work in yours. We can give tons of data but until you try it, it may or may not work. Starting points are probably best but the rest is up to you. I've been given a lot of different loads from people that say these shoot bug holes only to try them and then find out they don't work. I honestly think you could take two identical rifles and one would shoot a certain load better or worse than the other. Trial and error is the only way.

Ok thank you for your input. Right now I am trying different manufacturer ammo 50 and 55 grain. My thoughts are either Benchmark(out of stock online) IMR4198, H335, CFE 223, or A-2460 for powder. Bullets I was thinking Hornaday V-Max or Varmint. Primers either Winchester W209 short rifle or CCI 400 short rifle. Again, thank you all for your input. Have a great day!

Every rifle will be different but my 223 Axis II absolutely loves
50grn Vmax with 23.5 of H322.
40grn Vmax with 27.0 of Varget.
Both loaded with a CCI small rifle primer at 2.245"

It also liked some Federal LE stuff loaded with a 55grn nosler ballistic tip. My rifle shoots countless combos of bullets and powder at or under an inch. Lots of 3/4 inch groups with CFE223 powder.
https://imgur.com/VcjfgWQ

https://imgur.com/hvRaUVO

Last edited:
Back