Aim point for coyote head shot

The coyote has a boss or ridge of thickened bone to protect that part of the brain. Draw an imaginary "X" between the ears and the eyes and drop him with a high velocity 022 round.

I have been putting coyotes down on the trapline with just regular old 40gr solids in my 22lr. Like previously stated draw an X between ears and eyes and it's a dead dog every time. I have shot em from all angles and just imagine a baseball at the top back of their head and you want to center punch that.

I agree. Head shots are definitely not to be preferred on coyotes; too much movement in the head, to little target. Also, face-on, the skull is designed so it is likely to deflect a light bullet.

A farmer I knew saw a coyote trying to drink out of a creek. Trying because it had no lower jaw. Did someone try a head shot?

`I have shot their nose off, top row of teeth and bottom, lower jaw and finally made a perfectly clean head shot.
.223 ballistic tip at 300 yds, slipped in right past the eyeball exploding in the brain.
No hole in or out.

Back