Do coyotes see infra red light?

Walter Grooms

Gentlemen; I hunt coyotes at night in Virginia. I have been told by two very successful coyote night hunters that you will not call any coyotes in the east using ANY kind of light. My question is: can coyotes see IR light projected by an IR illuminator on a night vision scope? I have seen many times when the IR light projected from my trail cams seems to spook them, and that would indicate that using a night vision scope with an IR illuminator is worthless. What do you guys think.
Thanks for your input

Yes they can, so can bobcats. The question is, what are they going to do about it when they see it. Some spook as if you had shined a spot light on them and some, well maybe a few dumb ones just pay it no mind. Those dumb ones are the ones in the dead pics of eastern coyotes. My experience is that it varies widely as to the reaction. Some run, some freeze and stare, and some just pay it no mind.
So to say NV with IR is worthless would not be correct. Understanding that you will have to be one heck of a running shot wiz to kill all the coyotes you shine IR on is prolly accurate cause at least some "ain't havinit".
For some strange reason foxes either don't see it as much or they are by far the least offended by IR of the three main predators.

Last edited:
The coyotes can't see the IR light, but they can see the red glow at the source if looking directly at it. A light at 805 nm will show more glow than one at 850nm, and an 850nm will have more glow at the source than a 940nm, but you can't see as far with the 940nm.

Some things which my past experiences told me about lights including IR. Coyotes come in better if the light picks them up at a distance, so keeping a scan light on constantly helps. Turning any light on suddenly when they get close is pretty much going to spook them including the sudden glow of the IR flashlight head. You can kill coyotes with lights and an IR and NV or digital NV is an improvement of just regular lights. The eyes will light up with the IR reflection if you are using a NV or digital NV scope.

Weekender and DoubleUp are spot on. My understanding is that infrared itself is invisible, but there is a red glow from the emitter / pill, and coyotes do see it. I can see it. Coyotes are individuals and some tolerate the red glow while others don’t hang around long. Bobcats see it too. I had a bobcat look at the light and have no concern while another bobcat didn’t like it very well and ran. As was stated, fox don’t generally seem as spooked by it but they do see it, both red and gray. I even had one skunk run from it, but have shot a bunch of them that paid no attention. Night vision, whether digital or traditional, will increase your success rate though you will find some animals tolerating the light more than others. Thermal on the other hand, is pure stealth.

+1 on SkyPup. I do believe they can pick up the red glow if coming straight in as have had them pull up when I have dialed it up on mine.

Listen to Weekender and DoubleUp. I, and without exception every person that I have shown my IR to can absolutely, positively see the glow from the source. And most coyotes will spook from it if you hit them with it all of the sudden. We turn the IR on at the beginning of the stand with the hope that if a coyote sees it from a distance that he will not be bothered by it. The coyotes that come in from close cover and at an angle will very often lock up when you put the IR on them. Yes, the light beam itself is not visible but the emitter glow is very visible, try it for yourself.

Coyotes and humans cannot se IR wavelengths.

What humans or coyotes see is visible light, NOT IR.
thumbdown.gif

Absolutely NONE of the monochromatic IR wavelengths from any IR laser is visible to any human or animal.

Animals and humans being able to see IR wavelghts is an internet old wives tale....

Some manufacturers produce an illuminator that's invisible ,such as Pulsar,nothing can detect it in total darkness. I've ordered Pulsars newest which hasn't been released yet,about a month out,digital night vision with the illuminator that can't be detected. I like night vision better than thermal,if it's high quality.Now for the illuminator that can be detected it's miniscule as far as predators go,i wouldn't be concerned.

I stand corrected on them seeing the red glow vs the actual wavelenght. I know they can see the red glow from a 850 IR light. I didn't realize that the red glow being emitted from the torch was not the actual IR wavelength.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OhiolongarmSome manufacturers produce an illuminator that's invisible ,such as Pulsar,nothing can detect it in total darkness. I've ordered Pulsars newest which hasn't been released yet,about a month out,digital night vision with the illuminator that can't be detected. I like night vision better than thermal,if it's high quality.Now for the illuminator that can be detected it's miniscule as far as predators go,i wouldn't be concerned.

What nm is this new light you ordered?

I dont care what part of it they see they see enough to booger. IR's with a big ol honkin bell out front are like alcohol and acorn cruncher deer calls ....they are made for selling not for using.

Last edited:
All IR LED illuminations have a large normal curve of wavelength output, so a 850nm IR LED Illuminator would produce wavelengths from say 640 to 950nm with the peak of the output at 850nm, you can visualize anything below 720-740nm as visible red light.

All monochromatic IR lasers produce a very tight normal curve of IR wavelength emission, an 850nm iR laser would produce from 825 to 875 or tighter IR wavelength emissions, NONE of which is visible or discernible to any animal or human being no matter what any internet old wives tales are being told.
tt2.gif

BTW, NVO scopes and goggles do not make you see IR photons either, the IR photons hit the gallium arsenide substrate and produce visible light emissions which are then amplified 50,000+ times to allow you to see the visible light that was converted from IR photons.
Just like thermal scopes and scanners do with the VOx substrate and the higher frequency midwave IR photons.

Digex,it's the same tube as the Thermion thermal, which I have and don't care for,great unit but I want to see the whole animal.The new Digex is digital and will be in black and white,which is much better,500 yard range,plenty at night and the ir is invisible to man or beast.Scheduled to be released in about a months time.My friend let me borrow his night owl NV,about $400 it's on a CZ American 452 22 rifle,I've been shooting skunks,opossums,coons,and feral felines where problematic and this thing blows me away for the money,that's why I'm going to straight night vision personal preference. I think the Pulsar will fill the needs,while thermal lets you see images in behind trees and thick brush,I don't care ,I don't shoot unless I can 100% identify my target.Once again for my needs,open fields ,with trees bordering,heavy timber while calling and bait stations at 100 yards ,i'm good to go.My friend takes about 50 yotes a year ,with a 400$ unit,most called except when he shoots over my bait stations.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Walter Grooms I have seen many times when the IR light projected from my trail cams seems to spook them, and that would indicate that using a night vision scope with an IR illuminator is worthless. What do you guys think.
Thanks for your input

The red glow seen is in the 650nm range, probably produced by heat I'd guess. IR is not visible, BUT if they react their is a stimulus so it would be the visible light. How much they react is dependent on the animal. I've had coyotes and fox unaffected by red lights and IR while others run away. Their are no stead fast rules, find what works for you and go with it. Varmitter said what I've preached for years. Bells and whistles don't kill critters. 10% of the guys kill 90% of the critters many are still doing it using red lights. The other 90% keep companies in business.

Shot this guy last night fumbling between my thermal scanner and finding him with my photon along with my partner scanning by my side with red light. I like the stupid ones, this guy was a big stupid one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pmackOriginally Posted By: Walter Grooms I have seen many times when the IR light projected from my trail cams seems to spook them, and that would indicate that using a night vision scope with an IR illuminator is worthless. What do you guys think.
Thanks for your input

The red glow seen is in the 650nm range, probably produced by heat I'd guess. IR is not visible, BUT if they react their is a stimulus so it would be the visible light. How much they react is dependent on the animal. I've had coyotes and fox unaffected by red lights and IR while others run away. Their are no stead fast rules, find what works for you and go with it. Varmitter said what I've preached for years. Bells and whistles don't kill critters. 10% of the guys kill 90% of the critters many are still doing it using red lights. The other 90% keep companies in business.

Shot this guy last night fumbling between my thermal scanner and finding him with my photon along with my partner scanning by my side with red light. I like the stupid ones, this guy was a big stupid one.

NICE Yote and good shooting! Looks like a frickin' wolf!

Back