zoom Vs fixed light, dimmable vs non dimmable

Baron85

Wanting to try night hunting coyotes, I purchased a nighteyes headlamp off here and trying to decide on a gun light. I would like to keep the light under $250 ready to hunt (mount, batteries, charger etc).

I really like the idea of the nighteyes gun lights since they seem really simple. Pretty much on off. My concern is will the lights be too bright? Not being able to dim, is that going to be a problem?

Also looking at the coyote light cl-1 (on sale at top of my budget), wicked 403ic, and snipehog 66lrx. All seem to be dimmable and have the zoom lense. Do the dimmable and zoom features really make a difference or is it just marketing? Is there really much difference between these different brands with the same type features? My limited experience with normal flashlights there is only so much power and light you can get from a certain battery/led chip and the big difference comes from lense design.

Last question is one of my rifles is setup with a Bushnell 1-6x24 scope, sounds like the small objective might hurt the distance I will be able to see/identify at night. Is that an accurate statement? My other rifle uses a 4.5-18x44

I hunt in Colorado some denser timber in the mountains and go out to the flat open plains in the east a few times a year if that helps.

Thanks for helping out a new guy!

From my experience with lights zoom is nice but not a must have. I set mine to fill up the field of view in the scope and only zoomed it for long range ID.
Dimmable is very useful, particularly in light fog or heavy cover where a bright light might wash out. I used the dimmer quite a lot.
I don't know how your 24mm objective will work for you, I always used at least a 40mm at night.

I myself do not care for dimmable gun lights. I scan with the light on 50-60% brightness when I peck up eyes I follow them in when the time comes to turn on the gun light I try to keep the center of the beam above them and bring it down to where I can see them in the scope to ID an make the shot. As for your scope question the bigger the objective the more light it gathers that will make your taget ID and shot better. Night Eyes lights are what I use the owner is a great guy and is always willing to talk predator hunting with you just give him a call.

Thanks for the responses so far. I think I have it narrowed down to the night eyes gl350 and the NightSnipe ns750. Obviously fixed vs adjustable.

The NightSnipe, according to the price and specs seems like the winner, dimmable, zoom, 2 batteries, car and home charger.

Does anyone have any advice/opinions that can help me between these 2? NightSnipe offers 30 days money back and night eyes has 15 days money back.

Also like the idea of the adjustable mount on the NightSnipe. Not really sure how important that is but makes sense in my mind?

Night snipe , you won’t regret it. At least I don’t!

And if you ever decide to go up to night vision you can switch to a IR led for 40$.

Placed my order for the gl350 from night eyes last night. Can’t wait to try it out! Will probably end up with a night snipe as well to try in the future.

Unlike when I got started, today there are a lot of good compact red lights available. Most are similar in one way or another.
Joe at Night Eyes is one guy who does not like zoom or dimable lights. He sells a quality light and he stands behind what he sells. I use his dual beam headlamp and two of his IR illuminators. I hunt 5-7 nights a week, 5 months out of the year. They have held up.
You can get a brighter light from other guys, but it will be a lot bigger. Apples to apples his light is very good.

Speaking to the windage/elevation adjustable mount, I tried one and did not like it at all. Way too finicky and clunky. A good light that is properly mounted and has the pill properly centered should hit pretty much center in your scope without the need for that mount.

Back