Baiting

I finished building another lighted feeder today and will get it out tomorrow or the next day. This one is a culmination of what has worked best over the last 10 years of this type of predator removal. This time I have an opportunity to keep better daily hunt records comparing light color and intensity against success rate than I have in the past.
I have 2 new feeders out at different locations about a mile apart separated by a major Interstate highway. Similar wildlife, water, and food stuffs so the comparison will be informative. One feeder uses green leds total lumins are approximately 5k. The other utilizes white leds totaling about 800 lumins. Both feeders are filled with a corn/dry cat food mix, feed at the same time each evening and lights are set to stay on for 2 hours.
I'll post results as time permits.

Gobbler, did the coyotes respond to the Foxpro sounds?

As to the coyote blind, do you have the means to stay all night warm and comfortable? If so, your chances will greatly increase.

DU- I have not much a clue on what sounds to use. Remember, coyotes are brand new to many of us where I live. Most have never seen one. Any tips for calling is appreciated. The baiting thing, I think I got.
6- No response to any of the calls I put out, but then I didn't call long 'cause I
was focusing on getting some coons for my fur guy. My blinds are not set up for overnights. They are open and small.

GG, with bait all you're trying to do is just let the coyotes know there is another one in the area. They will come looking but it may take a while. I didn't get the female which hit the bait pile last night.

But I added another one tonight here behind the house calling. Shot him up pretty badly, but he's dead. My hunting partner couldn't go tonight, and the moon is so bright I thought I needed some shade. So, I called from under the shelter at the back of my shop. This one came across at least a mile of field to get to me. I had been calling a full hour making a different howl every 10 minutes. I actually walked down to get the call when I spotted him coming. I hurried back to the rifle under my shelter and made the shot. I'll weigh him in the morning and get the range.

IMG_0578 by Double Up, on Flickr

Here is the video:

Originally Posted By: ManyMagI finished building another lighted feeder today and will get it out tomorrow or the next day. This one is a culmination of what has worked best over the last 10 years of this type of predator removal. This time I have an opportunity to keep better daily hunt records comparing light color and intensity against success rate than I have in the past.
I have 2 new feeders out at different locations about a mile apart separated by a major Interstate highway. Similar wildlife, water, and food stuffs so the comparison will be informative. One feeder uses green leds total lumins are approximately 5k. The other utilizes white leds totaling about 800 lumins. Both feeders are filled with a corn/dry cat food mix, feed at the same time each evening and lights are set to stay on for 2 hours.
I'll post results as time permits.

What predators are you attracting with this mix?

Looks like quiet a few are seeing some action. More dead for DU who has been on a ROLL with the fur wagon. Good shooting on the coons GG. 06 I want to see you with the FAT CAT. Really interested to see what Manymag gets with the feeders. Let us know how the 1/2 miler alarm works Dozer. Burns, your next one is right around the corner.

I had a fox on the pile last night. I thought it was the neighbors cat until it ran off. I'm not too worried about passing on a fox. We do not have many foxes around. Had an opossum on the pile for over an hour last night. I gave him the pass because I didnt want to be shooting a whole bunch around the bait pile. Its been warm here the last few days but it is getting cold again so hopefully it picks up. Who knows what I am missing after I go to bed as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dozer_xjI had a fox on the pile last night. I thought it was the neighbors cat until it ran off. I'm not too worried about passing on a fox. We do not have many foxes around. Had an opossum on the pile for over an hour last night. I gave him the pass because I dint want to be shooting a whole bunch around the bait pile. Its been warm here the last few days but it is getting cold again so hopefully it picks up. Who knows what I am missing after I got to be as well.

I find the other critters that show up on the bait pile entertaining. They are also my early warning system for yotes. I'd say well over 50% of the time they act nervous and take off like a hand grenade was tossed at 'em right before one comes in.

I raise sheep in Central Texas and just about everything kills baby lambs. The good news is they all like catfood as well.
In the last year I collected hog, bobcat, coyote, fox and coons.
Over 100 animals.

Last edited:
I got my new alarm up and going:
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Driveway...la-739007716785

I like it better than the Guardline brand for several reasons:

-It actually works at 450 feet
-You do not have to take it apart to change settings like the Guardline. All of the settings are on the bottom protected by a rubber plug.
-It has way less features and adjustments which makes operation simpler. Owners manual is 2 pages instead of 50 pages like the guardline.

I had coons on the pile right at dark. Have them a pass though that may not happen too many more times. Once the kids were in bed at 8 I went out and put the new sensor in place. I also put out some dog food covered in pork grease.

Got up at 1:30 am to use the bathroom and in the process the bait pile alarm went off. Talk about feeling like Christmas morning! Got my gun and opened the window and the coyote was in the brush about 30 yards from the pile. He went back and forth several times and finally left. Lot sure if he had already gotten his fill while I was sleeping or if my fresh human sent in the area had him nervous. I am going to move the alarm from my living room to my bedroom. I'm sure my wife will be thrilled lol

Originally Posted By: dozer_xjI got my new alarm up and going:
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Driveway...la-739007716785

I like it better than the Guardline brand for several reasons:

-It actually works at 450 feet
-You do not have to take it apart to change settings like the Guardline. All of the settings are on the bottom protected by a rubber plug.
-It has way less features and adjustments which makes operation simpler. Owners manual is 2 pages instead of 50 pages like the guardline.

I had coons on the pile right at dark. Have them a pass though that may not happen too many more times. Once the kids were in bed at 8 I went out and put the new sensor in place. I also put out some dog food covered in pork grease.

Got up at 1:30 am to use the bathroom and in the process the bait pile alarm went off. Talk about feeling like Christmas morning! Got my gun and opened the window and the coyote was in the brush about 30 yards from the pile. He went back and forth several times and finally left. Lot sure if he had already gotten his fill while I was sleeping or if my fresh human sent in the area had him nervous. I am going to move the alarm from my living room to my bedroom. I'm sure my wife will be thrilled lol

What works for me is to let her have every other shot. Cuts down on your trigger time but happy wife happy life. This may not work for every couple, your mileage may vary.

Originally Posted By: weekender

What works for me is to let her have every other shot. Cuts down on your trigger time but happy wife happy life. This may not work for every couple, your mileage may vary.

After having 3 kids in 3 years I don't think she allows much to interrupt a continuous night of sleep hahaha. The first one I shot she did watch on my phone. The scope was connected to my phone on wifi. Modern technology!

Dozer, that's a good looking sensor system. I am curious about how well it works, specifically if it goes off without an animal being present or during the daytime due to sunshine, wind etc. Once you use it for a while, please give a review. Will be looking forward to it.

One other thing - how loud / quiet is the receiver? Can it be turned down to a low level that a coyote might not hear it beep? My cabin is only 60 yards from the bait site, so any receiver noise has to be low.

We had massive rain last night and gale force winds today, so we decided to sit it out tonight. My wife and I watched a movie, and I decided to have a look across the field. Just happened to catch one in the field. Range was 225 yds. Just as I was squeezing the trigger he was turning and so I hit him a little farther back than intended but it got the job done anyway. Pretty light colored large male. I'll weigh him in the morning.

IMG_0580 by Double Up, on Flickr

Video:

DU is gonna wear the tires out on the meat wagon if he keeps traveling those long distances. I guess he is saving on bait killing the BEFORE they get to the café!

Been a while. I get a coyote stopping by a handful of times a year and usually never enough to pattern and get the alarm on, I believe this one has been by about 3 times this year but never returning on consecutive nights. Her down fall was becoming a regular. First pic was daytime Thursday, freezing rain then snow shut down the cameras but I could tell by the pictures, tracks and position of the bait pile she'd been back Friday as well. Saturday was her third and last. I thought I had prepped well but didn't put SD card in for video and internal memory was full so no video.

Last edited:
Back