RIP Brody and Top

That's a good question Pk. I haven't looked into it since wolves can be hunted now. Before the state took over management, they were an experimental endangered species. The laws weren't in favor of the hound hunter then.

I know if a lion gets into your farm animals, they can be shot, immediately followed by a call to the game warden. He'll come and take the lion but that's it. I see no difference between a farm animal and a hunting dog.

farm animals are livestock and dogs are companion animals and are for the most part not provided the same protection as livestock.

also if you cast your dogs even on private property and the wolves attack and kill your dogs your SOL at least thats what i was told by a game warden.

p.s.
I'm sure you knew the difference between livestock and dogs.

Orson
living the dream on unemployment

Last edited:
According to Michigan law, if you see a gray wolf attacking a pet, livestock, etc., you can kill it. But there's a Federal law in place that trumps that. The gray wolf is an endangered species. You can't touch them, except in the defense of human life, but not of a pet or another animal.

I can not find any information on minnesota laws regarding wolf attacks on livestock or dogs.

Orson
living the dream on unemployment

At least in MI we understand the need for a law to protect our pets, sucks the feds trump us.

Such a "protection" law is justifiable, but given time people would abuse it.

This is a serious flashback. Since writing this post the author has served a full tour in the military including two trips to the sandbox. He has gotten married and graduates with an advanced degree (thank you GI bill) in about 90 days. Bottom line, turned into a fine young man!
smile.gif

Back