cell phone traps

larryb

has anybody considered building your own cell phone trap using the GSM system. I have a corral trap and a six foot guillotine gate set up with a trigger wire. I'm looking at the GSM system and converting my gate to be triggered by my cell phone. If you have any ideas or suggestion feel free to shared them with me as I have never tried this before, but I believe it would allow me to trigger my trap from anywhere with my cell phone and allow me to capture more hogs at a time, rather than just shooting one or two out of the sounder...and also allow me to (hunt) from my recliner so to speak...looking forward to any comments or suggestions from you...I will be sharing any and all ideas I have on this project. I have a door popper and have already ordered a GSM unit, just waiting on it to arrive so I can get that part underway. I'm totally in the dark on how to do this but have seen a few video's on youtube...so let the journey begin...

Gman, I have ordered a GSM-CTL unit, it has (2) 30 amp switche relays in it and the cost was 100.00. I'm waiting on it to arrive, I already have a 60 lb. door popper solenoid which should be strong enough to pull the catch release, a 7 watt solar panel and (3) 12 volt batteries. Need to get the sim card and a phone and figure out how to wire it up, and put it in a weather proof box, nothing to it ...right, I'm not electrically inclined, but I do have a good friend that knows electrical, so I might be able to get this thing working. I've been running Spypoint cameras for 2 years now with no problems, so I got that end covered. So the journey continues........

Originally Posted By: larrybGman, I have ordered a GSM-CTL unit, it has (2) 30 amp switche relays in it and the cost was 100.00. I'm waiting on it to arrive, I already have a 60 lb. door popper solenoid which should be strong enough to pull the catch release, a 7 watt solar panel and (3) 12 volt batteries. Need to get the sim card and a phone and figure out how to wire it up, and put it in a weather proof box, nothing to it ...right, I'm not electrically inclined, but I do have a good friend that knows electrical, so I might be able to get this thing working. I've been running Spypoint cameras for 2 years now with no problems, so I got that end covered. So the journey continues........

I have a buddy that uses the Spypoint cameras and seems to be happy with them. I just add the Spartan cameras to my Verizon account for $5/month so I am good with that. They have a new model that transmits live video so I may try one of those.

Sounds like you have quite a project to work on so let us know how it goes. Let me know what the total cost of the parts are so I can see what the cost difference would be. I would weigh that against the $900 to get a unit that is ready to go.

I have access to a Jaeger Pro rig but I need to check it out..... The guy that has it says he cannot get it online. I will let you know how that goes once I get my hands on it.

Don’t know anything about how it works but my son in law built his own trap that drops the gate remotely with his cellphone.
He has a camera on the trap that sends pictures to his phone and when he sees enough pigs in the trap he drops the gate.

Good thing we don't have wild hog here, wife might lose her cell phone controlled garage door opener and ring door bell. Probably easy to make it release a door.

So once you drop the gate I guess it is time to crawl out of bed or off the recliner.

As others kinda asked-how do you handle 6 or 10 pigs??

Love to shoot a couple but none around here. I guess many would say "praise the Lord for that."

well I use them for coyote bait...the state has come down on the processors around here and made it to where they cant process them anymore (not cost effective) so they have stopped processing and I'm not gonna process them, It's more of an eradication job for the landowners...I do have some folks that will take them, so if I get some I'll call them and take them all they want.

yes that's a good thing for you, they sure tear up some land. Anybody that want a hog, if they will call me I'll meet them and transfer it to them... I'm just starting to get into the trapping, have done it a few times in the past, usually catching two or three at a time, but don't want to run traps everyday, so hoping this will help me know if I need to drive the 75 miles just to check traps. The cameras will be a big help...

I'm hoping it will be easy to wire up...I'm on the electrically challenged side as I don't like fooling with anything electrical

220 swift....Do you think your son in law would take a few pictures of his set up and how he wired his controller and share them with me...

Originally Posted By: larryb220 swift....Do you think your son in law would take a few pictures of his set up and how he wired his controller and share them with me...

We got an old Jager Pro trap from a farmer that had never been used and we are trying to get it up and running. The Jager Pro system uses a proprietary wireless trigger system that requires their camera to send the trip signal to the gate control unit. The Jager Pro camera we got was 3G and is no longer supported so we needed a 4G camera. Jager Pro wanted $800 for a new 4G M.I.N.E. camera so we decided on a different solution since I already have a 4G camera to use.

I bought a 2 switch GSM unit on Amazon for $135 and used it with an AT&T sim card to get it up and running. They can be purchased cheaper but I did not want to wait on the thing to ship from China.

We wanted to use their box and gate actuator so I modified the GSM unit to fit in the original gate box so we would not have to worry with any geometry issues with the position of the box and control solenoid. If I was building from scratch I would get all the parts in and then measure for whatever size box is needed to fit everything in.

The diagram shows using a 4 conductor 12v wiring bus. Most come with a jumper to make one side positive and the other negative. It's easier than making multiple connections at the power source and makes it easy to power everything with one battery. They are cheap and available on Amazon and elsewhere. I did not add a solar panel because I think the 12 volt battery should last long enough to catch the hogs. If I find that it's needed I will go back and add one.

The unit can be controlled by downloading the App: KiaoTimeSwitch. I use iPhone and it's available on Android also. You just add the cell number for the sim card and then control the switch by text. I just plug in 1 second for the circuit time and it will actuate the solenoid and trip the unit. You will get a confirmation text back from the controller to confirm the signal was sent.

I suggest putting the SIM card in a cell phone to verify that it is working before installing in the GSM controller and there are no service issues. I did this and discovered that the girl at the AT&T store did not apply my payment to the phone number and I had to go back and have her correct it. I would never have known about the problem unless I had verified the SIM card was online.

I made some quick notes on the wiring and then decided to draw out a diagram so I'm pretty sure it's correct. If you have any issues let me know and I will help. It may not be wired by the book but I got it working and called it done.

vAQLFPw.jpg

acEMUvV.jpg

FLYZ5bG.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have enough hogs to warrant this type of setup but find it very interesting.

It occurs to me that this might be the kind of thing that roadside bombs are commonly triggered by in the mideast and I'm surprised that they're so readily available but then it seems that you can buy almost anything on the net these days. LOL

Originally Posted By: LDhunter
It occurs to me that this might be the kind of thing that roadside bombs are commonly triggered by in the mideast and I'm surprised that they're so readily available but then it seems that you can buy almost anything on the net these days. LOL

i doubt they're using anthing this sophisticated or expensive.

im sure most of them are wired into basic burner phones speaker and triggered by a call to the unit with someone watching it.

Thanks so for the response and the pictures...I made the mistake of ordering the GSM from china and I'm still waiting on it, but in the meantime I have built a 6' guillotine gate, got the trigger system figured out and have it all in primer right now. I have right at 200.00 dollars in the new gate, the GSM was purchased for 100.00 (and coming on a slow boat from China) the door popper I have is a sixty lb. pull (I paid 25.00 for it off E-Bay). I also purchased a waterproof electrical box (12"x12"x6") from Lowe's for 36.00). I did have one question, since the GSM comes with (2) 30 amp relay was it necessary to add the 30 amp auto relay. Thanks again for you help, it's greatly appreciated...

Originally Posted By: larryb I did have one question, since the GSM comes with (2) 30 amp relay was it necessary to add the 30 amp auto relay. Thanks again for you help, it's greatly appreciated...

Larry....the original unit wiring also had a relay in it but the 4 prong Auto relay I used was easier to work with. All of the information I could find included using the auto relay and all I can say is it WORKS.

If you can figure out a way around it go for it but you will only be saving about $6 on the relay and buying a couple of BC powders.

Last edited:
Gman, thanks again, I've gone ahead and purchased a relay. Thanks for the information the drawing was a tremendous help. Now if the slow boat from China will get here maybe I can get it wired up and get it in the field and see what it'll do. Again thank you for your help, I truly appreciate it.

We got our trap set up on one of my properties a few days ago. I'm hoping for a good rain in the next few days to dissipate our scent and get the hogs coming in.

We used eight 16 foot panels with T posts and it made a good sized trap area.

I have a cell camera on a tree looking down into the trap and another set in the field facing the gate that is set to record 10 second videos.

You can see how torn up the field is from rooting. The hogs at the feeder have not been back that I can tell since we have set up the trap.

9Vqqsef.jpg

Xk5J7N9.jpg

P2eVoZA.jpg

Last edited:
Back