Long Poke Coyote

DoubleUp

It was a crazy stand last Friday night. We saw one at the end of a field road to our east where we intended to set up. While watching that one, another one appeared in the field to our north. It was right in our downwind. Appeared like it wasn't coming any closer so I took the shot about 250 yds. and missed.

The first coyote disappeared at the shot, and we didn't see it again. About 30 minutes later another coyote appeared to our north tracking the one I had missed. She also got into our downwind and was moving away. I killed her at 310 yds. Still don't know why I missed the first shot. I didn't get it recorded.

Apparently I inadvertently left my dvr on and it killed the battery. I didn't check it like I usually do before leaving. My hunting partner says he got it on video. We actually had two more coyotes that appeared to our north after I killed this female but they wouldn't come on in.

Here is a picture-mature female around 30-32 lbs.

IMG950256 by Double Up, on Flickr

And the video:

That is a long poke for sure, especially at night. As to the DVR, mine runs down fairly fast if I leave it on the entire time. Would be nice to see some DVR’s with longer lasting batteries, but I guess I just wish for too much.

I'm carrying the rifle in a different configuration now riding on the Razor which I think is causing me to hit the switch and turn the dvr on, but I think my battery may be getting weak since I've been using the same battery now since the Photon days. My Apex just does a better job of recording on the dvr than my partner's Trail does internally, and his sound on the Trail is never very good and always sounds muffled somehow.

It was a pretty long shot and the coyote collapsed over into a field ditch and disappeared before the sound of the bullet smacking got back to us. That's the reason she was so muddy around her mouth and feet. As you know, I've always considered a night time shot about equal to making a daytime shot at twice the distance.

External DVRs can be a pain but you are making memories of a lifetime. You got it on film either way. Good Shooting.

Thanks Kirsch, I know there are a lot of hunters who don't want to be aggravated with recording because it adds another whole element to killing coyotes. With that said, I have been helped so much by having the hunt recorded. It shows me things that I would never see in the heat of the moment. I feel like being able to watch what happened has helped me improve my skill level, and it sure shows me that on some misses I made, that the rifle wasn't pointing to where I thought when the shot broke.

For me recording the hunt is everything. I really like watching it when the hunt is over.

After a hunt the first thing I do when I get home is look at the video and I don't care if it's four in the morning when I get back.

I enjoy putting the little YouTube videos together, but the recording is really far more instructive than I ever imagined it would be. Not only does it show what happened on a hit or miss, but sometimes I will see the coyote started to step forward just as the shot broke and results in a hit farther back than a DRT when I would have sworn that it was stationary at the shot.

Plus, I've seen coyotes in the background at times that I never saw during the hunt. I really depend on the video to help me. Wish I had not had a dead battery on the above hunt to see what happened on the one I missed at 240 yds. I was shooting on a tripod while standing, but I felt good at the shot. I'll never know for sure why I missed that one.

Back