Lolo bears

Slagiatt

So any of you spend much time in idaho units 10 & 12? Im curious about bear densities. Looking at where to do some spring bear hunting, i see that 10 and 12 are open through june 30th for all 3 bear, lion and wolf. For that reason id like to hunt bears there, to be able to maximize my opportunity by being able to notch a wolf or lion tag if i call one in.
Im also interested in your take on bear densities in units 7 & 9, since those 2 units are open for bear through july 31st, which leads me to believe there must be a very healthy number of bears there.
So, any knowledge about bear densities in those 4 units would be great. Also, since ill be hunting via calling, i have to ask, are grizz numbers very high there? Or is it like the selkirks where there are some grizz, but not exactly a thriving population worthy of significant concern when calling?

We bait along the Lochsa every spring. Lots of bears, also lots of bait sites. Timber is very thick and calling can be effective. There can be griz around, had 2 friends who've had them visit their baits. Good luck.. Jim

Back