Looking for some recommendations on thermal monocular

CallingArkansas

I’m asking for some help deciding on a thermal monocular. I have never as much as looked through a thermal. Totally green on the subject other than lots of looking and reading reviews on line.

I have started calling at night and I want a thermal for scanning. Scope will come later.
I will be hunting in timber and open fields. I would like one that can clearly identify a coyote at at least 300 yards preferably more but I may be asking way to much compared to what I can afford. I don’t want something that’s not dependable.

Can I find what I’m looking for. If not what, do you suggest would be the best options in my price range of around $2500?

Thanks

You may get more response if you repost this in the Night Calling section rather than Night Calling Videos section.

In order to hunt in timber and ID to 300 yds., you will need a 640 core unit. I don't believe you can get one for that price. The 640 core can give you wide FOV and still ID at distance.

The Pulsar Axion XM30 and XM38 will give you 4 power and 5.5 power native mag, but will have a much narrower FOV because they use a 320 core and 12 um sensor. They do fall pretty close to that price point and the company has excellent CS. Can't tell you much about other brands but somebody will probably chip advice.

Remember with thermal you don't actually see the animal. You are looking at a heat image and positive ID takes some time to get accustomed to. Coyotes have a very unique gait and movement, but sitting or still animals are harder to get a positive ID on.

Back