gov shutdown and wait times

I was at the local gun store and their sign on their KIOS machine says 9-12months. They are an extremely large store that move large amounts of suppressors so I trust what they are saying. When I bought my last one from them on January 4th they were saying 5-6months

I purchased my suppressor beginning of March 2018 through Dakota Silencer. My paperwork was processed and sent to ATF April 27,2018. Received an email last week that everything was approved. Just had to send in firearm transaction form and another paper that goes to the state. Should be here within two weeks!!

You can call the ATF and ask them about it. If you sent it in October of ‘18 it’s probably going to be a little while before something happens. But if you’re curious just give them a call.

Earliest I would call would be July 3rd.

I have always been polite when calling them to make sure what date my can went pending.

They don’t do anything but answer the phone, you won’t be talking to one of the officers that are in charge of your cans paperwork.

Wait, wait and then wait some more!!

I have one that the check got cashed in August. I won't even start wondering about it for a couple more months yet.

- DAA

I was told if you have had a tax stamp before, sending a copy of it along with your form 1 or 4.
It may help, I was told this by the nice Lady who answers the phone at ATF.

So, that seems to say that they don't know who already has a suppressor unless you tell them? It sure would be nice if they kept track so they didn't have to do so much re-investigation.
I just learned that my application was approved on April 1. My tax stamp check was cashed on 5-30-18. 10 months might have been 9 if we hadn't had the dem shutdown.

That is correct, from what I was told BATF doesn't use metadata that would/could coordinate previous forms or forms in the system at the same time. They only operate by the "date on the form". They can't even coordinate by your name. Haven't been able to find out if this is a government(can't operate with any resemblance of efficiency) thing or a political bias. But it makes you realize that no one can be vetted at a border/customs office.

It could be inefficient and biased. Inefficient and they don't care to improve it. It's no wonder it takes so long to process applications. I'm not sure they operate by date on the form like they say they do. I have a friend that bought the same suppressor model at the same time I did, ran into delays with his class 3 dealer and ended up getting the paperwork turned in a couple of weeks behind mine. He got his approval on Mar 18 and mine was given on April 1. I express mailed my forms to the ATF so there would be no delay. Lot of good that did! The wait times seem to vary all over the map. I have another friend that sent in as an individual and it took 13 months with no errors or issues. I think it all depends on who at the office gets the assignment.

Check cashed on 5-28-18 approved on April 1 2019, stamp delivered on 4-8-19. Varminter 4.0 picked up and enjoyed ever since. I really am glad the wait is over on this one. The wait is horrible, but it's worth having the suppressor. It really works well. Good sound reduction on my 6x45 and no POI shift.

Originally Posted By: 1loboIt could be inefficient and biased. Inefficient and they don't care to improve it. It's no wonder it takes so long to process applications. I'm not sure they operate by date on the form like they say they do. I have a friend that bought the same suppressor model at the same time I did, ran into delays with his class 3 dealer and ended up getting the paperwork turned in a couple of weeks behind mine. He got his approval on Mar 18 and mine was given on April 1. I express mailed my forms to the ATF so there would be no delay. Lot of good that did! The wait times seem to vary all over the map. I have another friend that sent in as an individual and it took 13 months with no errors or issues. I think it all depends on who at the office gets the assignment.

Effective and efficient are certainly different things. The gubment is certainly effective, they get things done on a massive scale, but you could never accuse them of being efficient.

I would agree that it certainly seems like there are folks in those offices that are more efficient and timely than others. I had a situation come up and had to contact the ATF to get it sorted out and that actually seemed to speed things along. I am by no means advocating incorrectly doing your paperwork, but getting in touch with a live person sure seemed to speed things up.

Just got mine from the gun shop only 13 month wait. Yea it showed up 2 weeks after I finally called the ATF they just told me it was in process. Seem a little odd on the timing. But I am happy the wait is over.

Last edited:
Back