Boat ramp mishap...

I watched a couple guys launch their punkin seed racer. Driver pulled the trailer up to the parking area. Bout 1/2 way back to the boat guy hollers "we forgot the plug" and driver sprints for the truck and they loaded up w/ water pouring out drain.

They decided to go home and dry it out and come back tomorrow night. I didnt get there the next night.

I have seen too times people with more boat than tow rig. Don’t unlatch all the tie downs, back into the water, boat fastened to the trailer and floating, lifts the back of the little car,Jeep or truck and out she goes.

It is always good entertainment on memorial weekend to get a good spot in the parking lot to watch folks back and load and unload boats. Saw girl load a jet ski into the back of a truck, skipped over the trailer and stuck the nose of the jet ski through the back of the cab. It was a King Ranch all decked out, still had the sticker in the window.

Years ago I saw a truck with trailer completely under water at a ramp in MS. I took a quick look then exited the area. I didn’t want to be around the upset owner, couldn’t help much anyway.

I go slow around the ramp, try to hit the quieter times. With the Covid it seems a lot are out fishing. I drove by the other day, even though the main season isn’t open, they were stacked about 10 in line waiting to get out.

Once the water warms a bit more I’ll get out.

Had a very serious issue at a ramp here in Missouri about a week ago. Gentleman was launching solo and somehow the truck rolled over him and killed him. The truck and boat rolled into the lake and completely submerged.

Many yrs ago I would ride bicycle over to the launch and just watch. Better than the movies, by far.

I saw many 'situations' to say the least. I cant really pick the 'best'.

One good one-two guys pull up w/ new punkionseed racer, unload. One guy drives the truck/trailer up and parks, quite a ways away. He walks about 1/2 way back to boat and hollers "we forgot the plug," and heads for the truck to reload. When they pull it out water is draining out the plug hole..
they decided to go home, dry it out and come back tomorrow night. I was busy the next night and didnt get to see that return.

Not just boat launches, locks can be fun too seeing folks trying to use locks for the first time.

Chittenden Locks between Lake Washington and Puget Sound can be hilarious on a summer holiday.

Last edited:
Back