Baiting

Picked up my Suppressor today, and got it sighted in late this afternoon. Actually the POI didn't shift, so I just confirmed Zero and checked function. One of the things I want to see is if the suppressor stays zeroed when taken off and put back on. I think it will. I might want to use it on a bolt action on the bait pile. I'll explain why in a little bit.

Coyote came in tonight at 9:40. I got my first suppressor kill. Female, but not showing any sign of being pregnant. My wife said the burned powder smell in the office was bad after the shot. I suppose it is the extra gas blow back in the action, so I may have to either go with an adjustable block or switch to a bolt action to shoot from inside. It was pretty quiet as she didn't know I had shot.

I was really pleased with the sound from inside though, and my wife not hearing it, and really glad to get my first suppressor kill the first night I had it.

Here is the first kill.

IMG_0476 by Double Up, on Flickr

Video:

DoubleUp, you are definitely a predator master. You are like the energizer bunny, you just keep on going. Great job.

Congrats on finally getting the new suppressor.

Congrats DU. I hunt exclusively with a suppressor, and am moving over to a bolt action as well to help keep the noise down even more. Seems like there's a fair amount of noise that comes out of the ejection port on ARs so the BA will contain that and move it on out the other end where it actually belongs.

Understood Burn, but I hate to give up that follow up or multiple targets with the AR. I have a Ruger Predator in 243 that is already threaded, so I could go there. I plan to try it on it anyway because I want to take it off and re-install on the AR several times to see if it maintains POI. Hopefully it will. That way I could go calling with it on the AR and switch it to the bolt action here at the house when needed.

Good plan DU. Although I've only killed 13 yotes since last June when I got into NV for property/vermin control, I've yet to need a quick follow up shots. Both platforms have their advantages

At 11:45 I had a fox on the bait pile, but decided to take one look with the XQ50 across the field. Up trots a coyote at 100 yds. out in the field. So, I shoot her right where she is standing and she is down for the count. Crazy part is I went out picked her up took some pictures and put her behind my shop under the shelter so an eagle or buzzard wouldn't be on her first thing in the morning. Came back in here to load up the video and picture and alarm goes off. Go into the office and it is the big coyote from last night on the bait pile at 12:45. Wife was having some stomach issues tonight and already asleep, so I gave the big male a pass tonight. He is getting plenty of chicken. I expect he may be the mate to the one I killed at 11:45 but she didn't appear to be carrying pups and not nursing. Here is the picture.

IMG_0479 by Double Up, on Flickr

Here is the video:

DoubleUp, You beat all!! How can any place have that many coyotes????? That's great.

Boy, he hit the dirt fast. That was a good shot too, and on base mag.

That male coyote seems to be mumbling something, like maybe "I think I may be in the wrong place." LOL.

Back