Baiting

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
See you around, Gobbler. You have indeed had a great season. Enjoy the upcoming summer.

Good run Gobbler! Love the statistics as you keep up with the numbers. The ATN scope was indeed a game changer for me as well this last 8-9 months. Couldnt do it without it.

Never get out of the boat...unless you're going all the way.

Got 2 last night. One at 75 yards and the other at 110. One spun, went down, got back up and ran off. Never found that one but this one was DOA on the spot.

ZRpbF4M.jpg
vrVlS2Q.jpg

Good job, Burn.

I had a coyote at my bait site on the night of the 20th and hoping it will return. I am baited pretty good now.

Thanks sir. You'll get 'em 6mm. Sooner or later they make a mistake.

Had another one barking at my dog this morning around 9am from back in the woods behind the house. Probably a female doing that territory thing I suspect. Went looking for it but no cigar.

Once I can get her comfortable coming into the bait area at night she'll be toast also.

Not a whole lot of back story on this one. 9:30 last night he came in hard and fast. He stopped pretty hard and fast (well, not exactly fast --- see below).

9FrUczA.jpg

bFMaIuR.jpg

Well, actually there is a little bit of a story, and this is Predator Masters by gosh so here it is...Had a buddy out with me who has quite the NV setup - Helmet rig with WP PVS14, DBAL laser/IR light, etc., Sig suppressed AR. Anyway, he has never hunted yotes or much less ever used his gear so I invited him out. Told him I wanted him to take the first shot if one showed up and I'd be his backup shot just in case. Had decided I'd shoot 6-8 inches back from my normal point of aim thinking a double shot would certainly get the job done. So Mr Yote came out of the tick woods and was heading for our bait area. Backing up from that moment, I was tied up changing out the batteries on my IR light for my X-Sight as they had just gone dead. Before I got the new batteries in I spotted the yote on my hand held thermal. Told him to light it up and shoot. I got on my NV scope with no IR light but his DBAL had lit it up so I could see. Placed my X-Sight about mid-section on the yote and could see his laser right on the yote for a perfect broadside heart/lung shot. The instant he shot I shot. Yote ran about 40 yards and we found him piled up in a thicket. I was pretty surprised it didnt drop on the spot, but upon checking side to side and front to back the only entry/exhit hole I could find was exactly where I was aiming for my backup shot. I guess we need to get my buddy back to the range and check his zero on that setup. When his gun went bang I could see that the bullet should have hit it perfectly. Live and learn... next time I'm making my backup shot a head shot. Dont like to see them run and dont like to have to go searching for them plus its the right thing to do.

Last edited:
Not sure that I see the reasoning to take a head shot as a backup. Two bullets in the boiler room or one for that matter will do the same thing. No reason to shoot at an off vital area deliberately. Glad you found this one.

After Church tonight I scanned the field with the XQ50 and saw a pair of coyotes about 700 yds. across the field. Just before 10 the alarm went off and the male was on the bait pile. I didn't see the female anywhere, so I decided that a coyote on the bait is better than two in the field, and shot the big male. I went out with my truck and picked him up hoping the female won't know what happened to him when she comes looking later tonight. I was pretty sure there was two different coyotes here last night and seeing them in the field tonight confirmed that. Now I hope I can get the female without her being spooked off. Here is the male and video.

IMG_0474 by Double Up, on Flickr

Thanks guys, I really would have liked to double up on them last night, but I didn't see her again. I'll have to check the cameras to see if she made an appearance later in the night.

Back