Coyote Pups Questions...

Burnsome...

I guess I have a few questions that I cant seem to find easily so any help is appreciated.

I'm assuming this is the time of year when pups are being born (March/April)?

About how long does it take for them to get out hunting on their own or in a group?

Last year I shot a couple young yotes but can't recall the month it was. Maybe it was June because thats about the timeframe I got NV and started hunting them at night.

I've killed 13 since then around my place and thought that would knock them back a notch or two but replacements keep coming. Most of the kills were females so I assume that will keep their population down.

Anyway, just wondering when the young ones will start coming out and become targets.

TIA

Seems to vary a little by region, here typically they are visible around the den during June and starting on their own late July. Some are earlier and I have seen them quite late.
I think gestation is 65-70 days.

Late July will be easy pickens for you on calling in pups, hit them hard.

Clemson University put out a camera by a coyote den in the area. ONE pair of coyotes brought in 22 fawns to the den in one Spring.

Draw your own conclusions on how long it will be before few deer will be left.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanLate July will be easy pickens for you on calling in pups, hit them hard.

Clemson University put out a camera by a coyote den in the area. ONE pair of coyotes brought in 22 fawns to the den in one Spring.

Draw your own conclusions on how long it will be before few deer will be left.

Amen to that sir. I'll be ready. Thanks

Originally Posted By: tripod3Seems to vary a little by region, here typically they are visible around the den during June and starting on their own late July. Some are earlier and I have seen them quite late.
I think gestation is 65-70 days.

60-63 days....

Coyotes in N. America pretty much all breed in February. So count two months gestation and you get them born in April. Then it's another two months before they are fully weaned. I've shot young dumb ones in early September when they looked about 5 months old. I kinda feel guilty about it 'cause they seemed like pups.

I came across a den Monday & the one I played with had eyes open & came out of the multiflora rose tangle to lipsqueaks. Dang neat.. If I could post videos I would but this old man can't figure it out.

I pulled a bunch of research from various Midwest Coyote Research Data and put together the following timeline (Averages) for ND Coyotes:

Breeding Date: February 3

Birth: April 10
* (63 days gestation)
* (Average litter size 6)
* Male brings food only until weaned

Pups Outside Den: May 10

Coyotes can have several dens which they move between, not only to protect the pups from predators, but also to protect the pups from the fleas and other parasites which build up.

Weaned: Mid – end of May (4-6 weeks)

Leave Den site: Mid June to early July (8-9 weeks)

Taught to Hunt: July (8-12 weeks)

I usually see(have videoed it) breeding 5-9th of February, multiple males around a female at least a couple days longer. Below normal temperatures seem to extend the day time breeding activities.

They will only breed once a year. Think what it would be like if two litters a year were possible. Also a mated pair of coyotes only has to have two pups survive their entire breeding life to maintain coyote numbers. Where I live it is estimated 80 % of coyotes taken are young of the year,but then if litters are six ,80% are young if the year. In the last 40 years coyotes here have become mostly nocturnal. Less and less responsive to calling.

It's been quite a few years now. One summer day. I looked along the field edge & seen 4 young coyotes on the move. I suspect they were around 3+ months old. They were traveling in a string. Best part was the lead coyote was a dusky black. I hunted that area the following winter & never laid eyes on the black one. Scattered to parts unknown I suspect. By it's parents come December.

Both red Fox & the coyotes. It is the alpha female who is the primary teacher of her pups. In her absence, the male will take over her duties.

Back