Baiting

G, I've had reds and grays feed together along with possums and coons, but the possum is the most unsociable of the bunch followed by the coons. None of them stick around when Mr. Big Daddy Coyote shows up. They haul butt, but it was sure curious how that possum wasn't budging even with the rifle shot. Most of the time they run at their top speed, which isn't much.

Thanks Burn.

I had what I called an “attack possum” a few years back that was a regular at my bait site. He literally chased a red fox off, ran after him out of camera view, and he held his own with a black skunk, biting him a couple of times. They are mean little critters.

No "attack possums" in my neck of the woods, but this joker showed up last night. 100 yard shot through the darkness. Heard the bullet hit him but he ran 15 yards into the thick stuff right in the middle of a thunder storm. Found him this morning having a smoke. Just like Arby's....WE HAVE THE MEATS!

pkS2FW5.jpg

iZu0KNq.jpg

SiwZaKS.jpg

I went calling last night and didn't have any results on coyotes. So, I don't know about the coyotes last night, but the foxes here on the bait pile didn't show until after 11 and I had 4 at one time on the bait pile later in the night so I'm assuming coyotes moved late as well.

MFDC1402 by Double Up, on Flickr

You can just see the eyes of the 2nd red fox behind the gray fox.

Pretty here today and feels like spring for sure.

That's a bunch of them, DoubleUp. The reds and grays don't seem to mind each other.

I finally got around to uploading the Attack Possum video. That possum wasn't afraid of much it seems.
He ran the red fox off as if he owned the bait site. The little black skunk was a bit tougher though since
he was about as anti-social as the possum. The skunk would actually antagonize the possum by bumping
him and agitating him. The skunk would threaten him with the business end but never did spray him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnAIkajyQTs&feature=youtu.be

Now that's funny right there for sure 6mm. Animals can do some funny things. I have a coyote running around out in the field tonight, but so far he has resisted the temptation to come this way. Getting late now so he will probably get a pass even if he ventures over here.

Last night while I was out calling a coyote hit the bait pile at 8-8:30. Didn't go tonight with the moon so bright at 88%. The coyote was a little later tonight at around 10. Unfortunately just as I shot, the scope auto nuc'd, but you'll get the general idea from the video. This appeared to be last year's pup-a female too young to breed apparently.

IMG_0471 by Double Up, on Flickr

Burn and DU - Congrats on your coyotes! Well done.
6mm - your attack possum is CRAZY! Bet he'd make a really good "watch possum" at the house. LOL

So ya'll, sadly my season has ended. It certainly was my best yet for Red fox takes with 14 shot and 13 recovered. No Gray fox. Coons with 11 shot. Possums, 6 total. Skunk - 0. These are actual hunted over bait tallies which do not include what I trapped. Total hours on stand was 196.0 hours - a 15% increase over last year. Any success is credited to my ATN night vision scope and yea, a little luck on my part to make a good shot.

I included a video of a pregnant Red at one of my bait sites. She has probably already had her kits based on her size there in late Feb. and now, her absence from the bait pile. To me she represents hope for next season's hunt.
You guys keep punching the predators. Be safe and God bless.

Back