gov shutdown and wait times

crit1

Was wondering if folks have started getting their stamps after the government shutdown. Did it add much more time, as in as long as the shutdown or more for them to get the process going again?

I was wondering the same thing. I can tell you this: I had a gun come in to my FFL for me during the shutdown. The NICS check took almost 1/2 hour from the time they sent it. I never waited that long for a background check. I have 2 pre-41F cans and one post. The wait time is keeping me from buying another.

My check was cashed June 18. Time in jail including the shutdown is 259 today, and still no stamp. If I subtract the 31 day shutdown I'm at 228 days. I have a friend who filed his paperwork a month sooner than mine, and he still doesn't have his either. Very frustrating!

I waited 13 months for my post 41F can. I was really sweating it because I knew I would be moving to another state. I was able to get it before moving, but it was about a pleasant experience as a colonoscopy with no anesthesia.

Last edited:
I am still waiting for mine since April of last year. Card was ran in May. It is my first so I'am starting to get mad.

The entire logic of the suppressor law defies any modicum of common sense. A rifle can be purchased with a quick background check. That weapon could actually be used to do harm if someone so chose to do so. Yet, a suppressor takes months to over a year and without the weapon to put it on could only be used as a club or to throw at someone. Oh well, that's my vent!

I picked up my can on Feb 16th. Check was cashed on 5/14/18, stamp approved on 2/7/19 and stamp arrived at dealer on 2/16/19.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpThe entire logic of the suppressor law defies any modicum of common sense. A rifle can be purchased with a quick background check. That weapon could actually be used to do harm if someone so chose to do so. Yet, a suppressor takes months to over a year and without the weapon to put it on could only be used as a club or to throw at someone. Oh well, that's my vent!

For sure DU. Its beyond stupid. Got 2 in wait for 8 and 9 months currently. A good friend of minr is an ATF agent and I had him check with NFA Branch this week on them for me. Was told they should be approved this month. We'll see...

Long wait or not....buying another one tomorrow

P.S. Bought my second suppressor yesterday after work and mailed my paperwork along with the check this morning.

Last edited:
I just got off the phone with the ATF mine went pending on July 12th 2018 and is still pending today. She told me that that they are still working on May of 2018 so it looks like a couple more months for me.

Originally Posted By: HouseCatI just got off the phone with the ATF mine went pending on July 12th 2018 and is still pending today. She told me that that they are still working on May of 2018 so it looks like a couple more months for me.

Mine went on the same day as yours.
I was in buying 22 shells at the gun store today and asked how much longer. He said probably end of April or May.

Back