Rabbit calling

Jonheson

Just wanted to know if any one has ever heard of this way I was reading a book on bow hunting that was written in the early 1900 by a guy from California I forgot his name but he said he learned from what was suppose to be the last wild Indian when they were hunting rabbit the Indian would find what looks like a good spot and would use a call at sounds like a wounded rabbit like I have seen for fox and coyote but the rabbit came to it because they thought it might be one of young ones just wanted to see if anyone has heard of or see this

i have used hurt rabbit sounds probably a million times in thousands of different places and have never, never seen a rabbit come to the sounds. i have seen rabbits run or hop through the location i was calling several times. but that was just coincidental stuff or something spooked it up.

but i only call in the winter months when there is likely no young rabbits around. so maybe, just maybe it would work in the spring or summer months when there are young rabbits around?

dang indians can do everything better than us gringos.
smile.gif

Same here. Never had a rabbit respond to a rabbit distress call. Deer, yes; rabbit no. When in South Africa, we had springhares respond to rabbit in distress several times. They're like big kangaroo rats, so it's pretty cool to watch them come hopping in the dark with eyes shining.

I actually watched an episode of relentless pursuit with Tim Wells in Kommefornia and yes it did happen. I don't know what time of year it was, but it looked like a hoot. They were using archery equipment also. Maybe youtube it?

Book was by Pope I believe of Pope and Young. That last wild indian was named Ishi. He tought them how to make and shoot bows.

I may read too much.

Originally Posted By: sandy hicksBook was by Pope I believe of Pope and Young. That last wild indian was named Ishi. He tought them how to make and shoot bows.

I may read too much.

Good book and thanks for the reference. I was racking my brain trying to remember the Indian's name.

Originally Posted By: pk1I think Kerry Carver makes a call that sounds like a carrot. Highly effective from what I've heard. I think Kerry makes great calls, I just purchased a new set of 6...but I've never heard of a "carrot call"?? I may be thinking of something else.....pls elaborate.

Originally Posted By: DropadoglvOriginally Posted By: pk1I think Kerry Carver makes a call that sounds like a carrot. Highly effective from what I've heard. I think Kerry makes great calls, I just purchased a new set of 6...but I've never heard of a "carrot call"?? I may be thinking of something else.....pls elaborate.

Kerry makes GREAT calls. My favorite is his "mesquite bean" call because that is all the friggin coyotes eat around here.....lol

Originally Posted By: pk1I think Kerry Carver makes a call that sounds like a carrot. Highly effective from what I've heard.

Now you tell me! I bought the friggen lettuce call on accident!

I was using a cottontail hand call and had a brush rabbit come out to investigate. Not shooting it and blowing the stand took a lot of willpower.

Kerry makes a couple of them . The one to use in the south is the wounded carrot. It will actually work well up north too. But if you use the 'Lettuce" call, in the south west states you will get lots of farm workers showing up.
He also has the 'Wascally Wabbit" it makes a "What's up doc" sound.
smile.gif

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: RedfrogKerry makes a couple of them . The one to use in the south is the wounded carrot. It will actually work well up north too. But if you use the 'Lettuce" call, in the south west states you will get lots of farm workers showing up.
He also has the 'Wascally Wabbit" it makes a "What's up doc" sound.
smile.gif

Hope this helps.

But you have to be Vewy, Vewy Quiet. (-:

I want one of Elmer Fudd's double barrel shotguns that shoots 15 times before reloading.

Last edited:
I have called jacks to within a few feet several times over the years though unintentionally. Just a plain old closed Reed call. I've also seen them run away more often than not.

I've called a lot in cottontail country and never saw a cottontail come into a call. I've called jack rabit country and had a couple come into a set in thick cover and there was usually a coyote along soon afterwards and just assumed the coyote flushed it through the set. I've also called in areas that were thick with jackrabbits, they would scatter all around you going into a stand and never had a jackrabbit respond on it's own.

We used to do it in the Carrizo Plain area of California. Spring was the time to do so and don't be over-aggressive with the call, just some non-gravelly wails to start. You can get a bit more aggressive if nothing shows, but there was never a pattern you could definitely follow. It was always cool to see the ears bobbing through the sage on their way in! Btw, I think Tim Wells does his calling in the North Antelope Valley of CA.

Back