Is the 17 WSM here to stay?

Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorShocking! Lol

Lol back at ya'.

I'm simply pointing out that no one has to pay $1k for a Ruger rim fire bolt action rifle. In spite of what you stated:

Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorThay sure do but how many people are going to spend a grand on a rimfire bolt action? If they were priced around $599 they’d prolly fly off the shelves and the caliber might have a chance. I’d buy one or two in a second if they made an American in the $350 price range.

Life would be great if all rifles were in the $350 range today, but they aren't. Some sell for $350 for a reason and others sell for more than that for a reason too.

My smith said he paid $750 for his Ruger in the laminate stock and IIRC the laminate is a little higher priced than the walnut version.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogMy smith said he paid $750 for his Ruger in the laminate stock and IIRC the laminate is a little higher priced than the walnut version.

I'm guessing that a quick check of the Ruger web site will provide an answer to that.

FWIW - The original 77/17 17 WSM stainless/walnut rife I was talking about is no longer listed as being available in 2019.

I thought I saw the walnut version in an ad a few days ago. Maybe it was just a left over old stock or they hadn't marked it discontinued, IDK? Doesn't matter if they aren't available any longer as the laminate is a nice rifle too. I like the longer barrel version.

Looked again and its on the Ruger website. It didn't say discontinued.

Last edited:
Ruger doesn’t do a good job of updating their website very well. I believe they have the 41 mag super Blackhawk hunter on there as well as a special edition. No one has had them available anywhere and has been sold out for some time now. They’re long gone.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodogI thought I saw the walnut version in an ad a few days ago. Maybe it was just a left over old stock or they hadn't marked it discontinued, IDK? Doesn't matter if they aren't available any longer as the laminate is a nice rifle too. I like the longer barrel version.

Looked again and its on the Ruger website. It didn't say discontinued.

I'll try again, psycho....

At the link below there are currently three 77/17 rifles shown. One is a laminate stocked center fire stainless rifle in 17 Hornet. The other two rifles shown there are both rim fire 17 WSM rifles. One is a blued walnut model with a 20" sporter weight barrel. The other is the stainless laminate stocked rifle with an 18.5" slightly heavier barrel.

https://ruger.com/products/77Series7717/models.html

The rifle I referred to earlier that a friend bought is the original 77/17 rifle offered in 17 WSM. It was a stainless and walnut rifle with a 24" sporter weight barrel. It is no longer offered and it is no longer shown on the Ruger web site. It was there until early January, IIRC. If you are seeing something else at the link, you need to clean out your old cookies.

Even after reading the reviews and shooting my bosses bmag, I hoped on the boat two weeks ago and bought a hb ss bmag from a Walmart that had them for $320 out the door. I had been wanting to get a 17/223 or 20 practical from rich but life happens and I’m trying to save to open a business and have crap credit seeing I always pay cash for everything as I like to own, and this was a nice compromise since I don’t own any rim fires. It shoots better than the normal thin barrel. Action is sloppy and the bolt handle hits my scope when cycled. Hoping a single piece base and mid high rings fix this. Otherwise the weight is bearable and accuracy is good for 150-200 yards shooting sub moa with 20g cant find 25g locally atm. If anyone has suggestions on making this thing a little more appealing I’m all ears. IMO money well spent and I think it’ll stay.

Last edited:
Purchased ruger 17wsm because I want a little more reach than my 17 HMR. So far I've been very happy with the performance. I too was worried that ammo may be an issue if the round was discontinued so I purchased a few cases for future use.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Matthew M-16Even after reading the reviews and shooting my bosses bmag, I hoped on the boat two weeks ago and bought a hb ss bmag from a Walmart that had them for $320 out the door. I had been wanting to get a 17/223 or 20 practical from rich but life happens and I’m trying to save to open a business and have crap credit seeing I always pay cash for everything as I like to own, and this was a nice compromise since I don’t own any rim fires. It shoots better than the normal thin barrel. Action is sloppy and the bolt handle hits my scope when cycled. Hoping a single piece base and mid high rings fix this. Otherwise the weight is bearable and accuracy is good for 150-200 yards shooting sub moa with 20g cant find 25g locally atm. If anyone has suggestions on making this thing a little more appealing I’m all ears. IMO money well spent and I think it’ll stay.

Is yours the one with the plastic stock?If so a laminate from Boyd's is a good add on for the B-Mag or so I'm told.

I find it hard to believe the options for this cartridge are so limited. I bought a bmag when they first came out, was super excited about the cartridge. It wouldn't hold a 10" group at 100 yards. Savage replaced the rifle and I sold the replacement (was too disappointed in the first one), I would jump on one again if CZ made one. I've heard too many mixed things about the rugers and I can't make myself buy another bmag. As stated before I'd love it if CZ came out with one. Would be sweet to see Tikka make one too.

Originally Posted By: psdan000I find it hard to believe the options for this cartridge are so limited. I bought a bmag when they first came out, was super excited about the cartridge. It wouldn't hold a 10" group at 100 yards. Savage replaced the rifle and I sold the replacement (was too disappointed in the first one), I would jump on one again if CZ made one. I've heard too many mixed things about the rugers and I can't make myself buy another bmag. As stated before I'd love it if CZ came out with one. Would be sweet to see Tikka make one too.

Don't forget about Franklin Armory. They aren't cheap, but they make a pretty nice 17 WSM complete upper you can slap on your AR lower, or, you can buy one of their complete 17 WSM rifles, too.

Eric Mayer has/does shoot more different 17 WSM rifles than anyone I know, and I think his "go to" 17 WSM is a Franklin Armory setup.

I looked at a B-mag at Wally World this afternoon. Stainless HB in the plastic stock. The plastic stock really was a turn off for me so I figure $300 for the rifle and another $150 for a stock. Think I'll wait on this one for a while. A guy there buying a hunting license told me I could kill coyotes out to 500 yards with that rifle. All I could say was "Really"?

Originally Posted By: pyscodogProbably very true. But If the walnut version was available, I'd be interested in one.
You may have good luck trading the laminate stock after a purchase. I know I’d trade my walnut stock for a laminate version.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI looked at a B-mag at Wally World. A guy there buying a hunting license told me I could kill coyotes out to 500 yards with that rifle. All I could say was "Really"?

As long as the BS was flying, should have told him that was
50yds better than you can do with the hmr.

Originally Posted By: WeaselCircusSure hope it stays around. Didn't like the rifle offerings out there so I bought a Contender rifle barrel from MGM instead. I love my 17Hornet, but it is nice to shoot a rimfire that has nearly the same punch as the hornet while not having to worry about saving brass. Especially when shooting high volume at sage rats. I use to shoot the HMR quite a bit, but since getting the Hornets and WSM I never touch the HMR any more.

I ordered a .17 WSM barrel from MGM for my Encore, this caliber must be pretty popular because there are none in stock.

I hope so; it's the cat's meow for 'chucks in my Special Regulations area where centerfire is forbidden. My Savage Bmag has returned many 'chucks to their maker.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: psdan000I find it hard to believe the options for this cartridge are so limited. I bought a bmag when they first came out, was super excited about the cartridge. It wouldn't hold a 10" group at 100 yards. Savage replaced the rifle and I sold the replacement (was too disappointed in the first one), I would jump on one again if CZ made one. I've heard too many mixed things about the rugers and I can't make myself buy another bmag. As stated before I'd love it if CZ came out with one. Would be sweet to see Tikka make one too.

My brother bought a bmag and he got rid of it quick. I would get a CZ in a heartbeat if available.

Back