Is the 17 WSM here to stay?

I have got a Bmag. B23 sent pics of his rig and he had good luck with it, so I cloned it some what. Just got it in the stock and have not shot it as of yet.
Got one of the Bushnell scopes made for the 17wsm,the hold dots show promise and seem to be correct.

The Bmag, to me, seems to have been a hurried project. Savage had other actions that would have worked better (center fire) I think, the model 25 comes to mind.
I have not a clue where or what they came up with on this action. I believe it may be more price point inclined than design. Rugers 77/22 is stout enough to take the pressures where as savage has a some what weaker system for theirs.

I may at some point rebarrel this and see what happens. The trigger looks like somthing a kid with an erector set built.
I like the cartridge from my initial range visits. As we all well know a rimfire is a finicky cartridge if there ever was one.
Jeff

I want to thank you guys.
cursing.gif
All this speculation on the life of this cartridge, caused me to order another 250 rounds, to add to the +1000 round hoard I have now. I have nightmares about cartridges, like the 5mm, just going away, and I am stuck with a rifle with no ammo. So now I will slowly buy more 17 WSM ammo, until I feel like I won't run out in my lifetime. I really need to seek help with my phobias! My .22 RF hoard is ridiculous, and I have brass, powder, primers, and bullets, to survive two zombie apocalypses.

In all honesty, I believe this cartridge will be with us, for a long time, but just seed one kernel of doubt, and see what happens! I start my own run on ammo.
rolleyes.gif

Squeeze

P.S. My marauding vermin porch rifle

OHDuYdb.jpg

Had to get out away all the ball games and Mecum auto auctions I could stand today.

Took the Bmag and the CZ 17HH out. Ran them side by side in the fading light. I doubt the Bmag will ever shoot like the CZ.
I cloned B23's rig some what. Went with the Boyds stock. A tight fit, and it helped a lot. I will tinker with it some more. Had some vertical which may have been me leaning into the butt. It is now half of what it was in the Tupperware stock, group was 1/2" wide and about 1 1/2" high. Not bad at all I don't think, for a questionable gun and questionable ammo.

Originally Posted By: DesertRam If Ruger chambered the American in .17 WSM I'd buy one tomorrow.

I'd be in line for the American right beind you. I can't understand why they don't do it, they are already invested in the WSM and they already have the magazine figured out. If they made an American that could shoot they would kill the Bmag overnight.
I refuse to buy a Bmag, I just can't do it.

Originally Posted By: jshHad to get out away all the ball games and Mecum auto auctions I could stand today.

Took the Bmag and the CZ 17HH out. Ran them side by side in the fading light. I doubt the Bmag will ever shoot like the CZ.
I cloned B23's rig some what. Went with the Boyds stock. A tight fit, and it helped a lot. I will tinker with it some more. Had some vertical which may have been me leaning into the butt. It is now half of what it was in the Tupperware stock, group was 1/2" wide and about 1 1/2" high. Not bad at all I don't think, for a questionable gun and questionable ammo.

As long as it shoots MOS (Minute Of Squirrel) it's all good!
thumbup1.gif

Yeah, it's ok, but I know you are chasing smaller just as much as any other rifle loonie
thumbup.gif

I owe you, the stock looks good and have received compliments on the rig. One gent said its paint and birch, so if it gets dinged up or scratched just add more paint and change color if ya want.

My ruger American 22 wmr will shoot under MOA with 2 different loads. Think I'll stay with what works for now. .3" with hornady vmax and .6" with Winchester varmint ammo at a 100 yards. It shot about an inch or a hair over with Winchester 40 gr soft points as well. Nothing done for accuracy tinkering accept lightening the trigger to about a pound to 1 1/4lbs.

The only thing I don't like is when I miss I can't blame the gun!
blush.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jshYeah, it's ok, but I know you are chasing smaller just as much as any other rifle loonie
thumbup.gif

I owe you, the stock looks good and have received compliments on the rig. One gent said its paint and birch, so if it gets dinged up or scratched just add more paint and change color if ya want.

I'm always more than happy to help people spend their money.
grin.gif

My smith bought the Ruger in the laminate stock. Boy its a looker for sure. He got the shorter barrel version. He sighted it in on the worst of days, probably 30 MPH cross winds and still shot an inch group at 100yds.

Dultimatpredator said:
Well, no 17 WSM files offered this year from what I can see. I don’t see the caliber around in another 2 years. [/quot]

I'm not so sure. The HM2 has had less support but I find ammo on the shelves all the time.

Greg

I wish NEF would make a barrel to fit their rimfire frames. If they were as accurate as their 17hmr I own, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Thay sure do but how many people are going to spend a grand on a rimfire bolt action? If they were priced around $599 they’d prolly fly off the shelves and the caliber might have a chance. I’d buy one or two in a second if they made an American in the $350 price range.

Last edited:
No one pays suggested retail for a Ruger rifle. A $1K suggested retail price on a Ruger will generally translate into about $700+ on the street. I have a friend who bought one of the original style Ruger 17 WSM rifles not too long ago which was a stainless action and barrel (24" barrel) in a walnut stock. If I remember correctly he paid $745 OTD for it.

I notice that Ruger is no longer making that rifle but still has the two options shown.

Back