ATF requires 30 day hold on shipped firearm?

Nothing to update unfortunately. I sent the buyer everything I didn't find and I haven't heard anything back. I'm hoping he took that info to the ffl and has cleared thingsup. He never asked for any $$$ back,and without evidence of shipping damage I can't and wouldn't make a claim with fedex.

On the upside I sent out a 2nd gun the same day. Buyer got it, very happy.

The problem gun was a mini draco, ak47 pistol. I can see someone thinking they needed to l,ay with it when they received it. The other was a savage striker. More boring looking
laugh.gif

Both guns sold for 600, I insured them for 700 just in case.

Did you buy the gun used, Do you still have the serial number.
If you do, run the number to see if it is on the stolen list.
Go to https://www.hotgunz.com/ and run the number.
It all sounds sound crazy to me. I sell guns too.
If you have friends in law enforcement, ask them.

So you haven't contacted the FFL your self? You need to take the buyer out of the picture and talk directly to the FFL. The buyer might not be telling the actual story. Never go by what a middle man is telling you. Stories change from person to person.

Being an FFL I have never heard of such a thing.

It may be a misinterpretation on what happens if the transferee is "delayed" or "denied." There is a "recommended" appeals process for the transferee, which includes a recommendation of waiting 30 days after the delay or denial, but that doesn't mean that the FFL has to hold it.

I would call the FFL and then call the ATF immediately.

Originally Posted By: reb8600So you haven't contacted the FFL your self? You need to take the buyer out of the picture and talk directly to the FFL. The buyer might not be telling the actual story. Never go by what a middle man is telling you. Stories change from person to person.

as the old saying goes - theres two sides to every story, but still only one side to facts.

like reb said... talking to your buyer you're only getting one side of the story.

call the FFL and get some facts. if you cant - ie: he gives you a *STORY* - time to go to the authorities, either the ATF or Local sherriff, etc.

in this case the story is irrelevant. you *need* facts.

I will give my hypothesis, I think the receiving FFL somehow damaged it and is having it repaired and that is the turn around for the repair/turnaround

My assumption is pretty much the same. It's not a boring hunting rifle they unboxed, easy to see someone playing with it and dropping it. In any case the buyer got a local atty involved, now has the gun and is happy.

I had a few bad feelings sending it to a pawnshop in the first place. I don't sell many guns, think I'll make a "no pawn ffl" rule for any in the future.

Unfortunately for me, all the dealers I have used in the last 10 years are all Pawn Shops. There isn't much else around here for dealers. One "gun shop" that is more into clothing, charges $75 for a transfer.
I bought a gun last week, sign out front on the sidewalk about 3' tall says "transfers $35", I asked how much I owed him, he said $50!! I guess its $35 unless you buy an expensive rifle.

Originally Posted By: 6724Unfortunately for me, all the dealers I have used in the last 10 years are all Pawn Shops. There isn't much else around here for dealers. One "gun shop" that is more into clothing, charges $75 for a transfer.
I bought a gun last week, sign out front on the sidewalk about 3' tall says "transfers $35", I asked how much I owed him, he said $50!! I guess its $35 unless you buy an expensive rifle.

Several pawn shops have done my transfers properly at a fair price.
On the flip side several have tested my intelligence by giving ridiculous quotes.
The worst wanted $50 and 10% of the value of the gun! They went out of business quick.

It's a shame there is such a sliding scale. I've only paid for one transfer in the last three decades or so. Having friends that are 'smiths and manufacturers holding FFL's has sure saved my pocket book in the long run.

Greg

I use a pawn shop all the time. Never had any issues and they charge me $25. Most the gun stores want double that amount.

We used to have a shop that was $10 if you had a chl. They went up to $20. Got sloppy with their paperwork and went out of business when atf pulled their license.

Back