vortex viper losing zero

anyone else having issues with their vortex viper losing zero gettin bummed or whatever reason needs to be rezeroed? we have one here shooting 8 inches off at a hundred yards. I have Leupolds that never has any issues like that at all.

I had a vortex strike eagle that all of a sudden wouldn't hold zero, one call to vortex, and 2 weeks later I had it back all fixed. Give them a call, they will take care of you, one of the best warranties in the business.

Vortex is known for their warranty like kooman said. Are you sure everything is tightened properly on your rings and bases? Just a box to check before you go without a scope waiting on a new one.

Originally Posted By: Californiadoggersanyone else having issues with their vortex viper losing zero...
Nope, my two are solid.

Originally Posted By: Bob_AtlOriginally Posted By: Californiadoggersanyone else having issues with their vortex viper losing zero...
Nope, my two are solid.

Same here

I had a PST that had black flakes on the internal surface of the lens. Warranty would take care of it, but still very frustrating when I hadn't fired 10 rounds with a scope that cost $1000. Not to turn this into a brand bashing; stuff happens and that's why they put good warranty behind most products now days.

nope not with any scope but with Weaver new scope I can't zero on a 44 mag rifle...called them three times and continue to get run around. do this, do that....doesn't work. even bought different bases/rings, didn't work. what a joke. oh should mention can't send it in without a return approval.

Last edited:
junk optics made in the phillipines, I tested 2 off the shelf PST 2's and both had canted reticles. do yourself a favor and don't mess with vortex.

No trouble with my pst or other vortex.. just picked up a vortex crossfire 4-12×40 with moa reticle and shot it saturday at 500 with no trouble crankin knobs and using the holdovers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TxEnvVortex is known for their warranty...

Does seem that they are best known for their warranty. Why anyone would consider that to be a "good" thing, I don't understand. But for some reason, thousands of guys on the internet talking about how good the service was after their scope crapped the bed, is seen as a positive. I just see thousands of crappy scopes...

- DAA

Should have mentioned all my Vortex scopes, all have solid zeros & no problems:
2 of Crossfire II 3-12x56mm HOG Hunter
2 of Viper PA 6.5-20x50mm BDC
1 of Golden Eagle HD 15-60x52mm MOA

I have two pst gen1 haven’t had any issues. If you need help give them a call they will walk you through what to check before sending it in. They are great to deal with just to bad they have to be dealt with as often as they are.

Have had one on a heavy recoiling smokeless muzzle loader for
three years. So far, all is well. I DID get it, in part, for
the warranty, since these ML's are known for eating scopes,
including many a Leupold.

Nope not anymore.....sold all the Vortex Viper, Viper HS & HST scopes I owned. Won't own another Vortex unless it's a Razor at a too good to be true price.

Every Vortex product I've owned has crapped out. I'm surprised to see this many reports from other people having trouble with them, normally when I've reported bad feedback I've been bashed and everybody else in the world has no issues with them and it's only me having them fail as if I'm lucky enough to have gotten all the bad ones.

Honestly it's common with the majority of scopes made in the phillipines or china though, not just Vortex. Vortex just happens to have their entire lines except the highest end Razor's made in those two countries. Even the Razors have failed though. I've only owned one Razor and it was the gen 1 and it failed on me. I have a couple friends who have sent in gen 2's for repair too. One friend of mine has a gen 2 3-18 and it's the only Vortex product he's ever owned and it's needed to go back for almost a year now after the erector/reticle assembly let loose inside for the second time. He had to send it back before he even mounted it too because of an issue with the turrets. He hasn't sent it in yet because he's frustrated with it and just doesn't shoot much these days but he's already said that when he does he's dumping it cheap and buying a NF or S&B for that rifle.

There's a lot of people who swear by them though and say they have never had an issue. Not sure if they're just getting lucky or don't use their stuff much, but good for them either way. If I could get lesser expensive optics that had satisfactory performance, the features I need, and good reliability I'd be all for it but my findings are that it doesn't work like that.

I’m in the “their junk” group. All of mine were sent back for repairs and sold once I got em back. Missed 3 coyotes due to one of them deciding to not hold zero anymore while I was on a trip. But of all my friends only 1 still has a vortex and he loves it. Also only went hunting once last year while my rifle is always with me and I do a stand almost every other day if I can.

Originally Posted By: GhostmanNope not anymore.....sold all the Vortex Viper, Viper HS & HST scopes I owned. Won't own another Vortex unless it's a Razor at a too good to be true price.
I agree 100%

Back