Baiting

Originally Posted By: srmmaineSo I had one at the bait the other night...2:00 AM and had what I thought was a good shot with my .223 using Hornady vmax. He jumped upon impact and took off. Next morning I went out and had a substantial blood trail for about 200 yards or so. He meandered a bit and stopped a couple of times where the blood was coming nicely. Then he laid down next to a tree. He was there for a bit as I could tell from the melting...there was a little blood. Then he got up and there wasn't another drop. I followed his tracks for a couple hundred more yards probably until I could no longer because of the snow conditions...ice and bulletproof crust etc. So any thoughts? Does that sound like a superficial wound?

Sounds like a hit somewhere other than the vitals. What was the angle of your shot? I have good luck with the VMAX while others seem to have issues.

Do beavers eat any meat? I have two beavers in/at my bait site right now. The bait site is on the edge of my pond. The beavers have been active around the pond eating saplings but these two beavers are at the bait.

Originally Posted By: weekenderDo beavers eat any meat? I have two beavers in/at my bait site right now. The bait site is on the edge of my pond. The beavers have been active around the pond eating saplings but these two beavers are at the bait.

Beavers are strict vegetarians - true herbivores. Maybe they are curious of the smells at your bait site, just as deer will check out my bait piles when deer carcasses are laid there.
I understand beaver are "coyote candy". I put out several beaver carcasses a season, but haven't had any hits by them yet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gobblergetterOriginally Posted By: weekenderDo beavers eat any meat? I have two beavers in/at my bait site right now. The bait site is on the edge of my pond. The beavers have been active around the pond eating saplings but these two beavers are at the bait.

Beavers are strict vegetarians - true herbivores. Maybe they are curious of the smells at your bait site, just as deer will check out my bait piles when deer carcasses are laid there.
I understand beaver are "coyote candy". I put out several beaver carcasses a season, but haven't had any hits by them yet.

We can't shoot beaver here, but I skin all the ones I trap and throw the carcasses on the piles. They are always the first to go. Also like mentioned before I shoot every skunk that shows up. All I've had for a month now are skunks, coons, and possums. No coyotes. Not even any tracks crossing the roads around my place after a snow. Just a off year I guess.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: weekenderOriginally Posted By: srmmaineSo I had one at the bait the other night...2:00 AM and had what I thought was a good shot with my .223 using Hornady vmax. He jumped upon impact and took off. Next morning I went out and had a substantial blood trail for about 200 yards or so. He meandered a bit and stopped a couple of times where the blood was coming nicely. Then he laid down next to a tree. He was there for a bit as I could tell from the melting...there was a little blood. Then he got up and there wasn't another drop. I followed his tracks for a couple hundred more yards probably until I could no longer because of the snow conditions...ice and bulletproof crust etc. So any thoughts? Does that sound like a superficial wound?

Sounds like a hit somewhere other than the vitals. What was the angle of your shot? I have good luck with the VMAX while others seem to have issues.
Well it was broadside but maybe I was too far back on him. Don't know. Keep kicking myself for maybe rushing it.

I went calling tonight, but no joy on that adventure. Came home and this one hit the bait pile at 10:30. It's the one eyed female from night before last. She is in estrus.

IMG_0454 by Double Up, on Flickr

Here is the video.

Last edited:
Nice one there doubleup. That was one relaxed yote. The ones showing up around me are jumpy as all getout. Had 2 show up last night 3 different times but unfortunately I wasnt out there. Tonight is the night...

What thermal are you using?

Pulsar Apex XQ50. I didn't have the focus quite as sharp as it should have been. Coyotes are very individualistic. Some jump out of their skin and others are pretty nonchalant. The jumpy ones are definitely harder to kill. Hope you get them tonight.

Nice "[beeep]". (Interesting this coyote hunting forum does not acknowledge using the correct term for a female coyote- - Crazy!)
Congratulations on your bait pile kill. Get some more!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DoubleUpPulsar Apex XQ50. I didn't have the focus quite as sharp as it should have been. Coyotes are very individualistic. Some jump out of their skin and others are pretty nonchalant. The jumpy ones are definitely harder to kill. Hope you get them tonight.

Ain't that the truth. Of course if I knew it was "the hammer's" turn to shoot I would be nervous too. Things have slowed a bit here. No sighting of coyote's in a while, just beavers and possums.

The male was searching for her about 3 this morning. I'm sure he went to where I had dragged her, so don't know if he will be back. Definitely don't want "the Hammer" shooting at me.

G, we've all become so politically correct.

Good job, DoubleUp.

I have noticed the same thing, some coyotes are jittery and others not. Some jump and run everytime the trail cameras come on, yet others have actually walked up and moved the camera while checking it out. They are indeed individuals with their own tolerances.

Nice DU, I had a one eyed fox all last year that I gave a pass, haven't seen him this year and the fox pass has been rescinded.

Pulled a road kill deer from the ditch to a hillside 211 yards behind a farmhouse. This is a new permission, landowners are deer hunters and want coyote shot. No activity through the last full moon/cold spell. Today I walked out and checked because of all the loose hair I could see through the spotting scope. At least one coyote had opened up the loin, most of the topside one is gone. Here in Minn, no night vision or lights with rifle. Will have a gusty(30 mph)full value wind tonight, tomorrow night 5-15 headwind, I think I should wait one more night before setting up for the 200 yard + shot and no moonlight.

Is there any chance of sitting over a bait pile during daylight hours? No night hunting for anything except coons and opossums in CT. We can hunt coyote and Fox and other small game from -30 to +30.

Back