Baiting

Yup, in the heat of the moment I forget to hit the record button when it flew in. Gotta remember next time. Actually I thought it was a yote but when I got down to it thats when I found the red. Casualty of war...

I'm starting a second bait pile about 100 yards away from the one that I've been using over the last 5-6 months. My initial setup area will be about 90-100 yards away and I will have much better viewing side to side to be able to pickup incoming activities before they just pop up.

Put up two trail cams today to see what shows up. The current bait pile is in thick woods and my side to side visibility is lvery much imited due to being inside the garage looking out the back window. Bait pile #2 will be from a covered blind area for starters. When the weather is better I will set up inbetween both piles and I think I'll be able to cover both at night. We'll see what happens

After hunting the last 6 months, I'm convinced the yotes stand off quite a bit and are basically more interested in the coons/possums that visit the bait every night and only occasionally come in for the eats. Going to check out some restaurants this week to see if I can get some free bacon/cooking grease to put out as an attractant. Dry dog food and a can of sardines is basically all I use except for some food available when the wife cleans out the refrigerator

Last edited:

Burn, another good means of bait is trimmings off of harvested deer. There's quite a bit of meat that has to be trimmed off. I place it in freezer bags and keep it in an old freezer in a storage building. Cut the trimmings to about 1" pieces and scatter several at the bait site each time you replenish bait. That will keep a coyote's nose in the ground, trying to find the next piece and many times can give you a better shot opportunity. The smaller pieces are also less of an attractant to buzzards.

Congrats on the red burnsome. I think forgiveness comes pretty easy here for the record button since a few of us are seniors. Just don't let it happen again.

Catching up on my hunts -
Friday night I had a dog come in early, about 6:30. He started to walk straight in to my stand so I gave a little squeak to get him to stop. Bad shot on him but he had mange so the fur was no good anyway. A little later I switched stands and hunted a baited open field and shot the boar coon at around 10:00.
Last night I hunted a different baited field which was snow covered and moon bright and shot a clean Red dog at almost 7:00. I moved to a wooded stand and sat 'til 9:00 but nothing showed. Being 20* I figured there would have been more action. Guess the critters were smarter than I, and stayed denned up LOL!
Still need to adjust the torch on my gun, again, I keep bumping it on something ? ?
Red dog w mange Jan. 11, 2019 pond stand by Gobbler Getter, on Flickr

Boar coon Jan 11, 2019 MAS backfield by Gobbler Getter, on Flickr

Red dog FF back field Jan.14, 2019 by Gobbler Getter, on Flickr

Red dog with manage 1/11/19 video:

Boar coon 1/11/19 video:

Red dog clean 1/14/19 video:

This isn't a baiting video, but I did shoot this one from my office window tonight where I normally shoot them on the bait pile.

I looked out the window earlier tonight to see how many deer were in the field and saw a pair of coyotes on the north side of the field about 650 yds. away. The deer were scattering ahead of them as they slowly worked across the field. I got my rifle ready in case they came close enough while crossing the field, but they continued on across the entire width of the field 750 yds. and went into the woods to the south.

As soon as they were out of sight in the woods, I did 3 pup screams on the hand call. Immediately they both came out of the woods on a line toward me. That's where the video picks up. The female in the lead, got to about 160 yds. while the male was hanging back a bit. I took the shot on the female knowing the male was almost out of range. I swung back on him, but he didn't stop to present a shot. I couldn't see where the female fell from my office window so I had to go out to find her. She piled up after running about 75 or 80 yds.

6mm, I have had a streak of good luck lately and the ATN x-sight is the BOMB!
Waiting to see more from your 4K here soon.
Week, the ring that the IR sits in is loose. One of these nights when I'm not out hunting I'll get things lined up and tightened down again. Procrastination at it's finest..

It worked out week. I didn't go calling that night because the moon is bright this week, and the wind has been in the wrong direction for my good places that give some moon shade. I did have to shoot sooner than I wanted because I couldn't swing my rifle any farther. I would have preferred to let the second one close in to the first to try for the double.

Brand new foot of snow here with -5* last night. Another 5" on the way with a week of below zero wind chills and static temps. Hoping things will pick up around here. I can't buy a coyote right now!!! Okay...done venting now :)!!!

I'm buried under 20 inches of snow. Haven't seen a critter since 2 days before the snow hit last Saturday, and my deer carcasses are picked clean but today I hit the jackpot. My lab wouldn't stop barking at this truck in the lot at work. In the back were a couple deer carcasses. Gentleman happens to collect road kill for the county, we hit it off pretty good and I've been told the supply is endless.

Last night's short hunt. Got in the stand around 6:15pm and had this vixen cruise in to the bait an hour later. I forgot to hit the button on the scope for RAV until just before I shot so the video is rather short. I would have liked to have stayed for a longer hunt, but the wind really picked up and I couldn't hear a thing.
One of my other bait piles has a dog coming in like clock work at 6:30ish every evening. I believe he is on my list for next!

Video

ATN Red vixen pond stand Jan. 23, 2019 by Gobbler Getter, on Flickr

Last edited:
DU-I have tried calling. When things are really slow on stand and mainly to releave boredom. Can't say I have that much luck calling and prefer the bait-n-wait game.
6mm- Like the old adage goes: "Make hay while the sun shines." As long as the fox keep showing up, so will I.

However, tonight's hunt was a pure train wreck. I rushed to get set up on the edge of a baited field where my 6:30 fox regularly shows up . My pop up blind had blown over from the previous night's wind, so I had to put that back up. Went out in the field to drop off some bait and discovered the stake with my game camera on it had blown down too. Then, I notice the light on my motion sensor is not working - dead batts. I scramble to find spares and install new ones. Check my watch as I sprint back across the field to my blind - - 6:38.....just dandy
thumbdown.gif

Finally get set up in the blind with the wind whipping 15 to 20 thinking I have most likely bumped the 6:30 fox and no chance any critter is coming across this field tonight.
Around 9:00 the wind had laid somewhat and a fox did appear but nervously skirting the bait pile. I attempted to line up a shot, but wasn't afforded a good, clean one so I passed. And I called it done.
This was one of those Murphy's Law nights for sure!

Back