Is the 17 WSM here to stay?

Part of the problem with the popularity of the 17 WSM is a lot of average Joe recreational rimfire shooters still don't even know they exist or what exactly they are. You'd be surprised at how many people confuse the 17 WSM with A17 ammo and often don't realize they aren't one and the same.

Shortly after I bought my HB SS Bmag I took it sage rat hunting down in Oregon. When asked what I was shooting and I said a 17 WSM, two of the guys shooting on the same platform, including our guide, said oh isn't that the new 17 HMR ammo that shoots 100fps faster. When I explained the 17 WSM was a whole different cartridge and compared my ammo to their 17 HMR ammo they replied with, oh I just thought they were the same thing. I've been to my local Sportsman's Warehouse numerous times and heard the counter guy explaining the difference between the 17 WSM and 17 HMR because the customer didn't know what a 17 WSM was.

As has already been mentioned, the early skinny barrel Bmags certainly didn't establish a great deal of confidence in the 17WSM. Also, the Bmag is kind of an odd duck, mostly because of how the bolt functions and it turns a lot of people off. The Ruger has always been a very good looking rifle but their accuracy was just ehh ok at best and typically didn't match their price tag. But, both the Bmag, particularly the HB SS models, and the Ruger 17 WSM's have gotten much better and tend to shoot pretty well, or at least much better than the early models did.

I've dressed up my HB SS Bmag a little by putting it in Boyd's Pro Varmint stock, swapped out that fugly bolt handle with a glades bolt handle which was ridiculously large so I had it shortened and turned down smaller in diameter. It looks pretty respectable now and shoots really well. I have a couple 17 HMR's and can't even remember the last time I shot one of those because every time I reach for a rimfire, it's my 17 WSM.

I believe it is here to stay.

I have an HB SS Bmag. It ain't pretty. It has a clunky bolt action. HOWEVER, it was inexpensive, is a pleasure to carry because it's so light, sufficiently accurate and has enough energy to 150 yards to tack down fox/coyote/bobcats. For a RIMFIRE, I don't know how that combination will be beat anytime soon.

I'm guessing if it is here to stay you'll see more ammo offerings and chambered in more rifle manufacturers at the upcoming shot show. That should be an indication whether it's doing good or not. Want one myself but will wait to see what the future holds for it first. Leaning towards the hornet. At least I reload it if the caliber goes away and I can custom Taylor a load till I find one that shoots vs having limited ammo choices and trying to find a rimfire rife that likes the preloaded rimfire ammo. Either way I'm sure I'll own a 17 WSM soon.

Last edited:
Sure hope it stays around. Didn't like the rifle offerings out there so I bought a Contender rifle barrel from MGM instead. I love my 17Hornet, but it is nice to shoot a rimfire that has nearly the same punch as the hornet while not having to worry about saving brass. Especially when shooting high volume at sage rats. I use to shoot the HMR quite a bit, but since getting the Hornets and WSM I never touch the HMR any more.

I bet if we renamed it 17LRP or 17Creed the things would fly off the shelf and take over the shooting world...

In my mind, if CZ or someone else doesn't bring out a new gun this year it is dead. However, they will continue to make ammo.

Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660I bet if we renamed it 17LRP or 17Creed the things would fly off the shelf and take over the shooting world...

In my mind, if CZ or someone else doesn't bring out a new gun this year it is dead. However, they will continue to make ammo.

I'm guessing the same.

Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660I bet if we renamed it 17LRP or 17Creed the things would fly off the shelf and take over the shooting world...

That's actually pretty funny, good one!

I still say, it would have been a better and more popular choice if they made it a 20 WSM rimfire and load it with something like the Hornady 24gr NTX bullet instead of a yet another 17 cal rimfire. I really like my 17 WSM but I would have liked a 20 WSM a lot more.

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660I bet if we renamed it 17LRP or 17Creed the things would fly off the shelf and take over the shooting world...

I still say, it would have been a better and more popular choice if they made it a 20 WSM rimfire and load it with something like the Hornady 24gr NTX bullet instead of a yet another 17 cal rimfire. I really like my 17 WSM but I would have liked a 20 WSM a lot more.

Or just a real re-release of the 5mm Rimfire Mag!

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660I bet if we renamed it 17LRP or 17Creed the things would fly off the shelf and take over the shooting world...

Or just a real re-release of the 5mm Rimfire Mag!

Maybe, but then you'd, potentially, have new 5mm ammo loaded with modern higher BC bullets that may not shoot well in some of the older 5mm's. Also, the case on the WSM is a bit larger, so for me, I'd rather they did 20 WSM than reintroduce the 5mm.

Why be greedy and just have what "I want"? Get one of each.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...659#Post3178659

I think that a 20 caliber rim fire would be met with loud yawning, much like the original 5MM RM was met.

btw - I now have one of each (5MM RM and 17 WSM) since I purchased a 17 WSM last week. Its a Ruger 77 stainless laminated with an 18" barrel, and before I get told that I should have bought a BMag, it shoots just fine accuracy wise. And having the Ruger is not like having to hide an ugly wart from your new girl friend.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorIMO the bmag is an ugly ducking or I would have already bought one for the price point it's at.

I agree. If another manufacturer such as CZ were to offer a rifle in 17wsm I’d own one in a heartbeat. The current options don’t do anything for me.

I've got a BMag, and, meh, it's okay, but only because of the cartridge. The rifle itself has no redeeming quality that I can think of. If Ruger chambered the American in .17 WSM I'd buy one tomorrow.

Back