Baiting

Welcome aboard Burn!!! Looks to me like you have a great start!!! Stay after em and keep us posted. As a side note...Really slow here, I'm getting the itch!!!

Picked this guy up on the trail cams a couple days ago so decided to hunt a little bit last night early evening but he didnt show until between 3 and 4AM. I think he came by once around 7:30pm-ish as 4 coons and 2 possums scrambled up trees like they were running for their lives. Nothing showed up and after about 15 minutes they went back to feeding.

As an old yote hunting friend once told me -- "sooner or later he's going to make a mistake".

Might hit the area again tonight and see if he shows up early. I need to send a memo out to the yotes to show up early for the buffet because I'm not staying up all night waiting for them...

ke0l7ix.jpg

zCG95Mv.jpg

Sadly, it sometimes requires all night to hunt a bait site. I have found that they can come at any time. As well, they might hit the bait one night and be gone for days or even weeks before returning. Once they begin to hit the bait, I try to stay at the cabin the next night or two. Sometimes it pays off and sometimes not. The battery operated sensors alert me when something is present. I have been awakened at all hours of night and morning when it alarms and have dropped several coyotes as a result, but generally it requires an all night effort.

Good luck with it.

Appreciate the knowledge sharing 6mm. I've been studying their movements via trail cams mostly over the last 6-8 months trying to get a feel for when and why they come by. The more I hunt now the more I get the feeling they are hunting over my bait area for the coons/possums that feed off of it nightly. Occasionally they will stop and smell and/or take a few minutes to snack on the buffet. Got heavy rain here that started last night so am curious how/if that affects the yote hunting tactics or if they just hunker down and wait out the rain.

Good job pmack,

I finally got some bait back out. I first used a deer carcass and failed to stake it down, I know better. The coyotes left with it, all of it. My wife just supplied a 2nd carcass

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...mp;#Post3175740

and this time I did secure it with a stake. I shot the coyote last night but waited till this morning to retrieve it. That didn't work so well because there was only about half of it left. Other coyotes had eat the entire middle out ribs and all. Just proves more targets are available. Here is all I could show.

Ib7fRe1.jpg

Nice job pmack! My bait pile has been slow slow slow this year. I've only gotten one coyote so far. I'm blaming it on numberous gut piles after our firearm deer season. They will get hungry sometime and I will be waiting!

Last edited:
Weekender it takes weeks if not months between coyotes visits the last few years, I envy you guys with immediate success. Nice looking coyote.

Nice work Weekender!!! Time to reload and keep shooting if you have coyotes eating coyotes
smile.gif
!!! Very slow here. Been 3 weeks without a beeper. Getting anxious!!! Lots of deer season remnants right now though, so standing by!!

Originally Posted By: DoubleUp.......Who gets credit? You for shooting or the wife for providing bait?

I think the coyote gets credit for being foolish enough to linger around Weekender's place.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpNice work there Week. Who gets credit? You for shooting or the wife for providing bait?

I'd be pretty foolish not to give credit where credit is do. On this one, no bait, no coyote so WIFE gets the nod (credit) for sure.

And 06, only the dumb ones die here around me lol.

Last edited:
Well week, look at it like this. Somebody has to eliminate the dumb ones, but at the same time you are improving the gene pool for making smarter coyotes.
wink.gif

Lordy, I can't believe how slow the bait piles have been for fox! I have three bait stations running right now with plenty of possums and some coons showing up nightly, but no fox. I'm guessing they are feeding on deer left overs from hunting season.
So, just to keep something going on here....I shot a coon last Saturday night kind of early in the evening and decided to hang out a bit longer to see if maaaay-be a Red would show up. About 10:30 I heard a noise off to my left in the direction I had shot the coon earlier. When I looked through my scope I found a possum, with it's back to me, eating on the coon. I thought "Oh, No you don't. That fur belongs to me now." I got the possum to turn it's head for a shot - preventing further damage to the coon fur.
Anyway, here is the video from my ATN - -in case there is nothing better to watch on T.V. LOL!

Darn Possums. They are like the plague. There never seems to be a shortage of them. Hope you get a fox in your sights soon, Gobbler.

Back