How Long Until You Call a Stand/Area Again?

StarFox_64

1. How long do you wait to call a stand/area again after you kill a coyote?

2. How long do you wait to call a stand/area again after you shoot, but miss?

3. How long do you wait to call a stand/area again after you blank?

Would love you hear your opinions!

Last edited:
Really depends on the stand. I have lots of ground so I can really let a stand sit several months or longer if I want. Having said that I have stands ill make several times in a month and can almost always count on a coyote. If I miss a coyote on a particular stand I prefer to let it sit a good while. Me and one of my contest partners have had some good success calling a particular stand twice in a day. Last December we killed a coyote on the first stand of the day happened to be going back by with just enough time before dark set up a little different called a little different and killed another there. Really just depends I Geuss..

Last edited:
That's awesome! I've never thought about hitting a stand twice in a day. What luck.

I have a lot of real estate out here (BLM and State Land), but I've only had success in specific area. It's a decent size, but I'm anxious about hitting it every single time and overdoing it. I get out about once a week, usually on a weekday.

It's basically supply and demand, I've called many stands twice a day and some repeating days successfully.
I try to change the tune each time and calling behind a house would be different.

1. How long do you wait to call a stand/area again after you kill a coyote?
Most of the time I will go back the next day, Couple locator howls and watch for 15 minutes or so and slip out

2. How long do you wait to call a stand/area again after you shoot, but miss?

2 weeks or so

3. How long do you wait to call a stand/area again after you blank?

If its a proven place couple days change up calls. new place maybe next time by.

In some of the areas that I call coyotes the coyotes travel around 5 miles or farther. I have found coyote scat full of juniper berries, grapes and carrots 4 to 5 miles away from any junipers, vineyards or carrot fields.

When you call a great coyote calling stand spot there may not be a coyote close by or a coyote in a location that your calling sounds are reaching into. Or the wind or breeze maybe keeping your sound from reaching the coyote.

If you called that very same place 2 or 3 hours later a coyote could have moved into the area or moved up out of a low spot to where it could hear your calling stands. The wind or breeze could have also changed direction a little letting the sound go into a area that it did't reach previously.

Many times I have had coyotes or a single coyote come hard charging towards my e-caller after calling for 20 minutes or more. I am pretty sure that sometimes when this happens the coyotes didn't hear my calling sounds when I fist started the stand. Either the coyotes moved to a spot they could hear the sound or the breeze or wind increased, decreased or changed directions so that the coyotes could hear the sound 10 to 20 minutes after I started playing the sound.

I never have called a spot twice within 2 or 3 hours, but I have called the same stand early in the morning and then again later in the afternoon.

I have quite a few really good coyotes calling stand spots that I have used over the years. If I have not called a coyote in from these stands two days in a row I would still call these stands if I was close to them on the 3rd and 4th days. I have killed lots of coyotes on a stand that I blanked on the first 3 or 4 times I called on that stand.

In the areas I hunt coyotes do not stay in one square mile, they can and do roam around in 9 square miles to at least 25 square miles that I know of.

Just because no coyotes come in doesn't mean that it is a bad location for a stand, it maybe that there was not a coyote there at the time you called at that spot.

When I use to trap coyotes I found places that many coyotes traveled through. It was like it was a spot that many different coyotes had areas or territories that over lapped on this one spot. At these spots I would catch coyotes 3 or 4 times the first week and maybe twice a week for two or three more weeks. Then I could catch singles or pairs of coyotes once a week for another month or more.

Back