In Memoriam: Dick Phillips, Warden, CA Fish & Game

EMP3

In Memoriam: Dick Phillips, CA Department of Fish and Game

Dick Phillips must be remembered for the exemplary man he was.

Angeles National Forest is the most deadly in the nation, assuredly due to its proximity to LA. I used to be friends with Dick Phillips. He patrolled Angeles National Forest in the San Gabriel Mountains. Prior to becoming a game warden, he was a deputy with LA County sheriff. Prior to lateraling to CA Department of F&G, he worked satanic worshipers in the San Gabriel Mountains above Pasadena. The satanists were suspected of murders.

Dick was a man's man who was not paranoid. He knew dirt bags from honest outdoorsmen. He had to frequently contact dopers, gang bangers, and sundry felons w/o back-up. He routinely saddled up and rode into the face of danger. He told me that he knew LA bangers were training with sophisticated weapons in the San Gabriel Mountains. He surveilled their training area. He'd of had to confront them alone because his back-up would have been more than 30 minutes away. He knew fear. He never showed fear.

Every hunter Dick contacted was in possession of a deadly weapon. Yet his knowledge, training,
expertise, and instincts told him whom caused worry & whom were no threat to him.

Game wardens are cops with full sworn peace officer authority. They'll hook & book a meth cooker more quickly than a poacher & then return for the poacher, and they'll do it w/o back-up. They'll confront terrorists training in remote areas, armed robbers, rapists, murderers, and all other felons...w/o back-up. They're cops. Their primary duty is to protect life. Our primary duty to assure they're not harmed while they protect human life and assure legal and fair chase hunting and fishing.

Cops survive by controlling. The more quickly they can gain control, the more likely they'll go home to their families. Help them by complying. It's always a wise idea to not have any weapon in your hands when a cop makes contact with you, and this is especially true for a lone game warden. You know that you're a lawful hunter. A game warden might know of a recent murder over the next ridge. Until he knows you're not connected to such a murder, he's going to assure his survival.

Like far too many cops, Dick retired with plans of enjoying his golden years pursuing his passion of hunting trophy mule deer. With deepest anguish, Dick Phillips, a Vietnam combat veteran, sworn law enforcement officer, and passionate outdoorsman, entered the Kingdom of Heaven too soon after he retired. I will never forget him, for my life has been enriched because of my having the blessed fortune of being friends with Dick Phillips.

Every man, woman, and child should experience the blessing of knowing a patriotic American and the essence of a man's man as was Dick Phillips.

Until we meet again, Dick Phillips, may you dwell in enteral life and happiness in Heaven within God's loving embrace.

http://monache.blogspot.com/2010/08/richard-dick-phillips.html

Originally Posted By: whyThanks for posting, sounds like a good guy. I'm sure he will be missed.

My sentiments exactly...

Brian

Back