Rank amature to crossbows needs help

masshunter

Brand new to crossbows, bought a Excaliber Micro 315 kit from an archery shop last spring. Great experience, they let me cock and shoot several until I was comfortable. I didn't buy broadheads at the time, because I had a Cabela gift card to use up. Anyway, I must have asked about them when I bought the bow because I wrote 100 gr on the back of the manual. Anyway I bought 100gr, but never opened the pack as I was practicing with the field points all summer. I was planning to shoot the broadheads tommarrow but the kit says I have 150 gr field points. Should I get heavier broadheads, try these, or do broadheads fly differantly ? I'm a real beginner so any help would be appreciated .

Hey Masshunter, I have an excalibur grizzly (200lb pull 305fps - thank you NY). Excalibur recommends a minimum of 350gr arrow weight for their crossbows. My diablo arrows are 250 gr and I use 150 grain field points and broadheads (408 grain total approx) so as not to be at the bare minimum they recommend so undue stress is not transferred to the limbs...hope that helps.

thanks Kec. After talking to a few other shooters, it seems I'm OK, just overthinking it. This is my first adventure with crossbows, and I have had very little archery of any kind. Good luck!

I shoot a Grizzly also and Excaliber recommends 150 grain broadheads. I shoot 150 grin Slick Tricks most of the time but bought some 150 grain Swackers(sp) to try this year. You can probably shoot what ever you want but it could void the warranty. Excalibers are bad azz bows aren't they!!!

Last edited:
In other words...shoot the same weight broadheads as Your using field tips from Your Crossbow so the point of impact is the same.If You use a heavier broadhead it won't hit in the same spot as a lighter practice/field tip.

What ever Arrow Weight and broadhead tip the manufacture or Archery Shop reccomends to use with the draw weight and scope set up on Your Crossbow You should use it.

Last edited:
I hunt with an Excalibur Martix 380, like others are saying don't go below the min. weight of the arrow and broadhead recommended for the bow, heavier is OK and is less stress on the limbs. One thing I really keep an eye on is the brace height, make sure it's at the recommended setting, I can't believe the amount of bows I have seen with the string pushing hard into the rubber bumpers if so equipped.
Use the same weight broadhead as the field point you are sighting it in with , heavier or lighter will change POI as already mentioned.
Another thing, if the scope has a speed ring FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS to sight it in and don't worry about what speed it is set at, if it hits your aim point at 20 yds. using the 20yd. crosshair, and then also at 40 yds. using the 40yd. crosshair, it's set right no matter what speed it's showing.
There is an Excalibur crossbow forum, lots of info. on there and pretty good guys willing to help if a problem arises, or answer any questions that an Excalibur owner may have, a lot of them have been there, done that, and the forum is a wealth of information.
I also have a spare set of limbs for mine, and a couple of extra Flemish strings, if something were to happen to either or during hunting season I could probably be back hunting that day or the next day, good insurance!

Last edited:
Don't assume same weight field points/broadheads will shoot to the same point of impact. You must test, some hunting heads come with practice heads. This is a much better way to adjust sights,practice with. You will need a high quality target.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootDon't assume same weight field points/broadheads will shoot to the same point of impact. You must test, some hunting heads come with practice heads. This is a much better way to adjust sights,practice with. You will need a high quality target.

I agree. You'll sometimes find that some broadheads may hit several inches off where the same weight field tip hits. Once I get roughly zeroed with field points, I fine tune my zero with whatever broadheads I'll be hunting with. Even some of the practice broadheads will fly a bit differently than the actual broadhead. Always sacrifice a broadhead or two and make sure you know where you're hitting.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootDon't assume same weight field points/broadheads will shoot to the same point of impact. You must test, some hunting heads come with practice heads. This is a much better way to adjust sights,practice with. You will need a high quality target.

^^^^^^
What they said….

Just ran across this my old question. I found my broadheads shot just a little lower, had to move up one mark on the scope at 35yds, closer it didn't matter. Anyway I am loving the Excaliber. Killed bucks in 19, 20, 21,and 22. Mostly small, 4 and 5 pointers, but the last was a 166 pound 7 point. Also took a hen turkey in 20. Thanks for the advice I got.

Sounds like the Excalibur is treating you well!
thumbup1.gif

Since I posted I added another "spare" Matrix 380 to the stable, probably never need to use it, but I got it if I need it, or to lend to my buddy when his compound blows apart!
laugh.gif

Just a reminder, keep the brace height where it belongs, simple but apparently often overlooked from what I have seen.
Also, beware of the "triangle of pain", seen some brutal injuries posted where guys messed up, usually to the thumb and something that you would not want to experience.

Last edited:
Back