Bow Opener...

GC

Two weeks away here in Missouri, September 15th is go time. Long range forecast is predictably hot as usual. Probably keep fishing until we get some decent weather. I went out looking for acorns last weekend. The last five years the mast crop in my area has been crazy high. Big fat white oak acorns so thick it was like walking on marbles. This year it might be different. What I found in my big timber public land is limited mast and that is thinly scattered. Should make the hunting easier. While scouting I saw four doe/fawn sets and a group of three bucks together. The chigger population is at an all time high. I didn't get out of the truck much and for sure didn't wade deep into the timber and yet I'm covered from ankles to armpits in chigger bites.

Good luck... I hope it all works out in your favor. You know I'm looking forward to some bloody knife pics...

Yuk, chiggers. Do they go away somewhat with the first frost?
We have ticks around here but they haven't been bad this summer.
September 29th is Ohio's opener, I'll probably wait until the weather cools off until I get serious.

Reference the chiggers, I spray my hunting clothes with Permethrin and that takes care of them until several hard frost takes over. They sure are a nuisance.

I've done more preparation work with my bows (compound & recurve), broadhead flight, paper tuning, arrow spine selection, fletching arrows, etc., than I have in a few years. I'm glad to be back in the great outdoors and am looking forward to jumping into the season with both feet, as soon as it opens on the 29th of this month.
thumbup1.gif

I'll be starting out with my recurve, until the foliage drops off and longer shot opportunities present themselves.
cool.gif

Bowhunter57

Season opened yesterday and I've got 3 buck's munching wild clover in back of the house right now.Two fork horns and a spike.I hung a stand back there 3 week's ago.They're lucky it was raining hard this morning or I'd have been in that stand to greet them.Maybe they'll come back later for lunch or dinner topped off with a Zwickey Eskimo 2 blade for dessert.

We went Monday. Didn't see anything and by 10 it was 86 degrees. An Asian boy I use to work with said he killed a yearling and wounded one he didn't find. Not a very good way to start the season. They shoot anything that comes by.

Back