Nosler 120gr vs. 140 gr for 7mm-08

danno in va

Wondering which of these ballistic tip hunting bullet weights are best suited for this caliber in a Rem 700. H4895 and H414 on hand. Primarily for deer and maybe the an opportunistic coyote.
Thanks...dan

Last edited:
The 7mm-08 is my go to caliber for deer and I have shot an occasional dog with it. I have loaded and shot just about every kind and weight of bullet I could get in .284" diameter and have found the 140g to be about the sweet spot for the 7mm-08. I personally like the 139g and 154g Hornady Interlock bullets. I shoot H414 and W760, but my preferred powder is Reloader 15 or 19 for what it's worth.

I have shot 120, 140 and 150 NBT in 7mm-08. The 120 has the thickest jacket of the bunch, and I generally use it for elk and the 140 for everything else. I like the 120 with Varget and a CCI 200.

I have never had a 7mm-08 in a custom, so I don’t really know what they’re capable of. 5 shot groups around .6 are common in the Remington with 150s, and the Montana shoots about 3/4” for 3 shots with the 120.

When I was loading a lot of 150s, I was using RL 19 and CCI 250s

Either the CCI250 or BR primers. Also had good luck with the 9-1/2 Remingtons. I know they are not required for the small case but they give consistent, hot ignition of powder whether it is ball or stick. I hunt hogs and coyote when it's cold...real cold and a hotter primer is a good bit of insurance in my humble opinion. But what do I know? Like the man said...I'm just an old peckerwood who lives in the woods and has too many guns!

BTW good luck with your 7mm-08. It's a wonderful round and much underrated. The only one I have that is more underrated is my .358 Winchester. WHOP!

Typical groups are always well under 1". It is capable of unbelievable accuracy. Use to be a strictly long range shooter caliber until Remington legitimized it around 1980. Wildcatters absolutely loved the accuracy it provided.

Last edited:
CZ527 - Great info on the bullets. The 140's sound like the ticket if some Speer 130's don't shoot well.

UncleDoc - Lots of folks have good results with magnum primers, and it does make sense to go with the hotter ones in cold weather. i appreciate the gun talk.

I have been running the 140g B-tips with IMR4350 in my 7x57 Mauser (similar velocity to 7-08). Many deer and one coyote shot, none lived to tell about it.

Mike

This is the last deer I killed with that combo.

9hW5KCD.jpg

Last edited:
nock-hunter - The 7x57 Mauser is another one of those classic cartridges I've always admired. The pic of the nice looking rifle and deer, along with your load say a lot - all good. Thanks very much.

To show how well the 7-08 shoots you only have to look at and know that David Tubb used the 7-08 one year at Wimbledon. It has to shoot well if he used it, if only once.

Dan, this may help!

http://centerfirecentral.com/MDB/Categor...bmit=Search+Now

Hard to believe how tough the 120g Nosler ballistic tip is. Accuracy node will be in the 3000 fps area.

140g Nosler BT, I had good luck with IMR 4064, IMR 4350, and H414 stood alone with Rem 9 1/2 in Rem brass. Be aware that Lapua brass is tougher, and the top end accuracy node with H414 will be more managable with Lapua brass or brass formed from new Lake City brass which is tough, also. Seat the bullets .003 off the lands to touching the lands for best accuracy.

I have found no need in accubonds in the 7/08 for deer.

Have shot many mule deer and elk with the 120 bt in a 284 win. Most when I live in the high country of Colorado, most shots on either specie inside the 300 yard mark. All dead first shot. Went to the 140's for elk when I moved to lower elevation and start getting into the 4-500 yard range. No complaints on either bullet.

Don't use the 284 as much as I used to but still dig it out from time to time for some of the young hunters I mentor. Have never had a BT fail to do its job.

Back